Getting Rid Of Unexpired, Unused Snacks?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do you end up with store-bought snacks that never get eaten? I do. Even after I say don't buy, family puts them in the Costco or other store cart, and they enter my kitchen shelves. If I am lucky, it will have 2-4 sealed sleeves inside and I convince my neighbor to take one.

How to avoid the "too many unfinished snacks" problem?
    1) Don't buy snacks in huge quantities unless it is a known family favorite.
    2) Buy only smaller size packets.
    3) Don't get a new snack packet till an older one is finished.

What to do with unused and unexpired sealed snacks?
    1) Take them to work and quietly place them in the lunch room.
    2) Donate to a local food bank (but they prefer canned food, and most likely will not take sealed sleeves from opened boxes)
    3) Reuse them in creative ways, such as add cheese and make a sandwich.

Please add any ideas to the above. In particular, please share what you do with unused and unexpired snacks. I hate to simply wait for the expiry date and throw them. :expressionless:

2. MadhuRK

MadhuRK Silver IL'ite

Hi @Rihana

May I please share my guilty-as-charged dark secret with you ? I have the exact same problem as yours. Too many things to eat, too little eaten and the Costco sizes which can feed entire wedding-feasts. I'm a simple woman, we are a family of 3 and I hate wasting food.

I camouflage.

If your snacks are salty, like crackers, chips, crunchy nuts and what not, I sprinkle them in soups, rajma, dal, kootu and what not. Depending on how much hate the unused snack gets, you can decide when you want to add it. If the degree of hate equals indifference, sprinkle it at the end. If its downright protest, do it while the soup is boiling and it will get thoroughly mashed and no one can tell. Basically use it like the french flour/butter mixture to thicken things including your arteries !

If your snacks are bland, you can also sprinkle them even in Pastas and Pulav. Sometimes its colorful and nice.

If your snacks are sugary/sweet, you can use it as crumbles/toppings in desserts. I bake a lot, so I pulverize them and sprinkle it on top of cakes and pies as a graham-crust like topping. You can also liberally sprinkle it on oatmeal/quinoa or kanji.

We love ice-creams topped with fruit-salads and topped with a combination of this sweet junk.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

SuiDhaaga, AliceMargaret and Rihana like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I put them out in the break room at work.
    If that is not feasible for some reason and it’s something we really wont eat then I toss.

SuiDhaaga and Rihana like this.