Getting familiar with Mumbai

Discussion in 'Western India' started by Roopasparsh, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Roopasparsh

Roopasparsh Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I have lived 28 years in Bangalore !! Namma Bengaluru.. two months back I packed my bags to follow my hubby all the way to Thane!! ( please note I stay near a place called Tikujiniwadi-no doubt here every place is called "wadi" like Bangalore's "Pura")

trying hard to know this place.. no tailors, no parlours, no friends ( THIS IS THE SADDEST PART), no job ( I will get one soon though), no good sweet stalls ( Miss my Asha sweet stall and sangam and Krishna sweets and lots more), no yoga classes....nowhere to go during weekends with my lazy hubby :rant

This has made me think and start this new post- What and how must a person start life in a new place... Yellow pages do not help much... how to make acquaintances and how to search basic stuff like parlours, good tailors... lets discuss ( rather please help)

RoopaAmit

2. Roopasparsh

ok... at last today I went to see a place called Upavan.. nice to see this place in a concrete jungle like mumbai.... thane seems to be a place much better than the hush hush city... greenery and lakes.. ( Thats what ppl here say) .. I also went to the small Ganapati temple there.. it was really beautiful.....

3. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hi roopa,

meee too roopa from mumbai (bhandup)..close to thane.. now settled in Abudhabi (UAE)..

there are many places in mumbai to wander out..temples (Siddhivinayak, Mahalakshmi temple), parks, malls, chat corners, beaches, shopping outlets, huge hotels, small eating outlets & many many more...a city that never sleeps...

dont forget to enter the local train once in your life time..its a great experience :biglaugh

you can check the following link also for more details..

Mumbai & Navi Mumbai - IndusLadies

4. Roopasparsh

Hieee..

So Roopa's in Mumbai have same experience!! :).. :cheers

Yes I did travel in the local trains a couple of times its a good experience...its better to travel alone.. what amazes me is that the train doesnt even stop for a min still ppl manage to get in and get out.. Somehow I am not happy with this weather.. its too too hot.. no doubt Bangalore too is loosing its climatic beauty these days.. but this heat is unbearable.so all i do is stay at home :-(

But... I need a good parlour..some place to Hang out :bonk... it will take some time...

btw Roopa Bhandup it seems is nearby to where I stay... hmmm so many places.. my inlaws stayed years together in Borivilli.. so anything I ask for they start up with Borivilli.. not sure if thats the most happening place here.. isnt there something like MG brigade or atleast kormangala types crowd here... hmm it will take time to study this city..

5. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hi roopa,

thanks for the reply..Mumbai is a hugeeeeeee city..take your time to explore it..you have good parlours like Kaya Skin Clinic, Lakme Salon..(can search on google to get their address in Thane)..

Borivali is also good place a major hub in western region..

Happy Exploringgggggg !!

6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi roopasparsh,

Welcome to IL and a great Welcome to 'Aamchi Mumbai'.

If you touch Ghod Bhunder road near manpada, take left and further ahead is a place called Vijaynagri near suraj water park-waghbil naka, there you have a good beauty parlour. Its been a long time, so i don't remember its name now. You have a library in Manpada, near tikujiniwadi. its next to a home made ice cream shop. In manpada itself you will be having good parlours.

If you travel further ahead, after patlipada, kavesar (muchala), there is a place called 'gai mukh'. A shiva temple is there on top of small hill. Its a wonderful breezy place. Many used to come on sunday evenings to have darshan of the lord and to sit and enjoy the breeze and to enjoy the view from there.

If you go further ahead, the climb will take you through the borivali hills. its a nice ride after monsoon showers, through that place. You can visit Borivali national park, if you are interested.

For shopping, you have 'Hypercity' near kasarvadvali, which is ahead muchala polytechnic in the 'thane-ghodbunder road'.

Near Thane station, the place called 'Naupada' is a shopping place. An evening stroll or by bike you can visit and enjoy shopping too. If you like crowded market place then Jambli naka near talaopali will be of interest to you.

If you have continous holidays for 2-3 days, you can visit the hill station called 'Matheran' near Neral after the monsoon showers. Its a very good unpolluted forest and you will surely enjoy your stay there as there are no proper signal towers hence mobile may not catch signal (no official calls!!).

You have lots of malls in & around mumbai. You have amusement parks (one in your place, suraj water park (small & not so interesting) near vijay nagri, essel world, water kingdom.

Mumbai is a huge city and it has lot in store for you to explore.

Pune is few hours away from mumbai. one the way, you have bhaje caves, karla caves, lonavla (now lost its charm), Khandala. (weekend getaways)

You are now new. Once you settle down here, mumbai will become your favourite.

Wish you a great time in Mumbai.

7. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

This thread brought back memories for me

I am from Navi Mumbai, so Thane is a central destination for us

Try the famous wada pav near the station and the famous chat corner too (cant rememer the names though)

8. ssdonkar

ssdonkar Silver IL'ite

Hi Roopa,

Welcome to Thane, city of lakes.

I stay at vasant vihar it quite close to tikuji ni wadi.There are many parlours at Happy valley and Manpada or you can come down to meadows you will fine N no of parlour's and good restaurants

Ya i do understand Mumbai is quite hot than Banglore,was in banglore before shifting to Madurai

Banglore is my all time favourite when it comes to eating joint, every nook and corner you will fine sweet or a bakery shop.

regards

Aaditi

9. bhansnig

bhansnig Senior IL'ite

Hi Roopa

i stay in Navi Mumbai now and will be moving to Thana in 6months time.I will be moving to Hiranandani Meadows which I think is close to your place.
    It is on Gladys Alwares Marg. here u will find the Reliance store. On God bandar road More Store is also there.

In Meadows there is Juice beauty parlour which is good and this place has a couple of boutiques also for your tailoring needs.And then Gokuls Ice cream is there which serves natural divine ice creams .Talwalkars Gym is close by.
    Vasanth Vihar another residential locality is also close by which has a nice market called Amrapali.

There are a few malls also on the main road.
    I am yet to explore this place but i found this place pretty self sufficient.

Welcome to Mumbai.A very nice and convenient place to live once u start living here

10. ssdonkar

ssdonkar Silver IL'ite

Hi Bhanu Roopa,

great to know that u will be staying close by.looking forward to meet you soon

regards

Aaditi