Gestation Diabetes in Pregnancy - Baby's health ??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by renutn, Jul 1, 2012.

1. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Hi dear ladies,

On my 26th week sugar test they detected more sugar levels in my blood.
    I am testing my sugar level 4 times in a day and in the ultrasound they said baby is normal as per the gestation week.
    I am trying to control my sugar level by cutting carbs and starch in my food plan.
    My questions for you is how is the health of the baby? Ladies who went thro' this phase please share on baby's health.

My sugar level 180-190 after 1 hr food .

thanks

2. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

Renu,

I feel your pain :-(...I too failed the 3 hr GTT but much to my frustration I found out that my sugar levels were high because of the steroids that I was given a week before the test. But the doc has already categorized me under GD and is insisting that I test 4 times a day and control my diet.

Anyways, have been doing it for the past two weeks and my average blood sugar is usually in the 95-120 range, 2 hrs after food. Why are you testing 1 hr after food? My guideline is this: Fasting blood sugar should be 60-95 and 2 hrs after meals 60-120. I honestly think this is a rigid upper limit as I know the normal upper limit is 140, but if the doc says so then I guess we have to do what we have to do :-(

My baby seems to be doing just fine, although I haven't had a scan yet after the test (am 32 weeks along)...If they took a scan and they feel the baby is developing well, I don't think you should get worked up. Just maintain your diet and watch out for the carbs that you eat. Eliminate white rice, direct sugar, pastries,mithai, etc as well as fruit juice. (THE MOST difficult part for me) Am sure everything will go well. All the best.

3. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Thank you cj180...
    Infact i don't have sweet tooth ; what I made mistake was when my apeatite increased i started eating food which are of mainly carbs. Just imagine 4-5 times in a day as smaller meals type. Both me and my husband wondered how it can happen; but it happened.
    But i want to know how will be the baby's health - thus makes kind of relax along with the diet

4. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

Hi Renu

Don't worry .Baby will be fine .the only thing with GD is that during you labor if your sugar levels are too high baby will be over weight and his/her body will be be producing more insulin to burn the high sugar receievd from ypu and when he or she is born they might have low sugar due to the presence of high sugar

Your post sugar looks too high .1 h r after food should be less than 140 .try to cut down the starch and eat more protein .Walk after every meal for 15 mins .that makes a huge difference .I had GD on both my pregnancies and both my babies are fine .for my second pregnancy I took insulin as I couldnot manage with diet alone .Both my kids are fine and they were not over weight as well .

so relax and enjoy ur pregnancy

your fasting should be less than 100 and post meals should be less than 140 ( 1 to 1 .5 hrs after meal )

5. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Thank you lochu .
    When you said baby will have low sugar level? Does baby will get back to normal sugar level after some days/months?

I am trying to cut down my carbs intake and walking after every meal for 15-20 mins. It is been 2 days now I started with this diet. Y'day with Brown rice my sugar level was around 170-180 which is also high; but today i took ragi which is making more than 180-190. Lot of confusion.
    I feel bad on myself sometimes at this time not able to eat whatever i want .

6. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

Renu, I understand how you feel...in fact, even today I said the same thing to my DH (just when I should be eating to my heart's content, I am being forced to count carbs, prick my fingers 4 times a day, and be conscious of everything that goes into my mouth!)

I too have had a few confusing days where I eat the same amount and same food in the afternoon and the sugar is normal and it shoots up at night. I realized that ragi is high in carbs, surprisingly. So I restrict intake to 1 cup ragi porridge (made from 2 tbs ragi flour, 1/2 cup water, and 1/2 cup 1% milk) a day. Also, I have replaced ponni boiled rice with basmati rice (haven't tried brown rice yet and am not keen on it!) and it seems to be working. Idlis and dosas seem to shoot my BS up...so, if at all I eat them, I have two small egg-dosas for breakfast. One thing that is working great for me is wheat tortillas...I bought some lettuce and usually grill shrimp/salmon/chicken, sautee some onions and bell pepper, and roll them all in one tortilla and gobble it up for dinner. I also snack on digestive biscuits, a small cup of watermelon, 1 cup ready-made plain oatmeal, 1 cup low-fat popcorn....again, am always watching the carb count budget for each meal/snack and making sure what I eat falls within that range. Of course, there are times when I feel it is not enough and am famished...that's when I struggle not to break down...I think of my son and I pull through. I hope some of these tips help you bring your glucose levels down. If it continues to be high, no matter what you do, I suggest you check the next plan of action with your OB.

7. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

nice workaround cj...
    seems for me also ragi is not helping me cut down the sugar level...so back to brown rice...
    today morning i had 1 omelete (2 eggs)...and my sugar level came back to normal...seems like my body is trying to adjust for the diet and cotrolling hunger...
    i don't know what to do...whether to control sugar or leave it so that baby can grow healthy ...
    i wonder whether i will put on weight as normal 20 pounds at the end of 9th month? as of now i gained only 12 pounds and the another 2-3 months i have to get some weights..but i can't eat that much...
    lot of confusion...

8. drsurabhijain

drsurabhijain Silver IL'ite

dont worry. control your diet. Baby will be fine. Dont take stress. be happy and eat low carb food.

9. Ritu80

Ritu80 New IL'ite

Hi Renu,

My baby is now 20mnths old and me too faced the same issue during the third trimester of my pregnancy. I wsas put on insulin for the last month and was feeling terrible about it. But beleive me there is nothing to worry about. Just do brisk walking as much as you can. I use to walk for almost 40-50mns in my last month with a huge baby bump. My gynac introduced me to a dietician who suggested me a juice of Capsicum, bitter gourd(karela) and doodhi in equal proportion just before both the main meals. It has to be consumed just before you start your meals. It helped me to some extent. You can try it too but pls check with your gynac before doing the same. I wish you aall the best for your delivery and let me know if i can be of some help to you.
    regards
    ritu

10. Ritu80

Ritu80 New IL'ite

and please remember taking too much of stress is also one of the reasons for BS to shoot up. So just relax keep walking and be watchful about your diet.

Regards,
    Ritu