Geography game

Discussion in 'Online Games & Puzzles' started by karuth, Jun 12, 2007.

1. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

This is a really interesting game and I liked it very much. Thanks Karuth for starting it and Ilagandhi - your response is terrific. Inspired by you :mrgreen: , I am posting about Dubai.

It gets hot, hot..HOT, HOTTER in summer from May to September but still the city is teeming alive with all the construction work going on for the Metro rail and architectural marvels.

The climate gets better from October and from November to March, the winter time is really cool. As Meena would say, we can all go looking for KPs in the cool deserts and also enjoy the long drives in search of such KPs.:wink:

The traffic rush is really something -- it is the HOT TOPIC throughout the year -- both in the morning and evening five lanes become eight but at the sight of a policeman or a police van the lanes magically become five again and all drivers follow lane discipline meticulously.

Sales are on throughout the year for some reason and people throng because major of the prizes are either a MILLION DIRHAMS or a CAR.

The local lingo to pick up most easily is Yella Yella - meaning move forward
    and of course Khallas - meaning finished/over -- either to mean that the procedure is over or your time is over. One more word is Inshallah(meaning God willing) which is affixed with answers to all questions -- Ask the grocer whether he will reserve two litres of milk for you tomorrow - it is Inshallah, I will or even if you ask the bus driver whether the bus will reach the destination in the specified time, Inshallah it will -- I find this word so endearing that it has crept into our lingo too!!

There is a lot more to write but now Inshallah(God willing) I will write some other time and shukran (thank you) for reading my post so long.

2. karuth

karuth New IL'ite

We got a mental picture of Dubal there..Good work.Thanks.

3. karuth

karuth New IL'ite

Hi Ilagandhi mam,I bursted out laughing reading your post....Good sense of humor you have got, in saying the daily things.

As a matter of fact, I read in an Atlanta magazine, there are totally 100 streets in Atlanta with the name "PeachTree" in it. :-D .....
    But if we try to get some peach it is one of the costliest fruits...I just want to see atleast one peachtree with peach fruit.

I always wonder why would somuch people transport only mattress.But pity on them they would try to remove it from the road calling the cop.

You have to go in 55 speedlimit means we hav to go in 70. +15 is automatic in freeways around Atlanta....Always Atlanta people get ticket when they drive to other states....They imply the +15 there.

But I too love Atalnta.

1 person likes this.
  4. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Ya sure Huma i'd love to... lets exchange the rain in place of the heat we have here:-D ... wudnt that be great

5. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mrs Ilagandhi

well you gave us an amazing and humrous description of Atlanta... i really cant control my laughter.... so i too have got a fairly good idea about Atlanta...

This thread is goin gr8 guns... we get to know so much about other places...

i wud say lets start describing our nativ places in India too, with theit peculiar characteristics, cos i think mostly people wud not know about other states than their own.

what say ???

6. ilagandhi

ilagandhi New IL'ite

Glad everyone enjoyed the post on Atlanta. You are right, let's get some posts on India going. I have a funny one regarding the city of Mumbai.

Last year I took my boys to a wedding in Mumbai. They had been to India when they were very little and this was the first time they got to see India as adults.

A couple of days after we were in Mumbai. My oldest son made two observation about the traffic that made every one laugh. He said something like this.

Observation One
    Okay now I get it. The red traffic light is really not there for cars to stop, it is merely a suggestion that if you have the inclination to stop then we would like you to stop.

Observation Two
    The lines painted on the street is really not there so that cars remain between the lines, but a way to keep the people busy so that they can earn a living painting the lines on the road.

7. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hey Mrs. Gandhi that was great

I would like to write about Delhi, as that is the place where i was born and brought up...

Delhi is the capital of India, well we all know that... well Delhi has 2 main sects, by wich it is dominated, and that are Punjabi Community and Baniya Community (still its very metropolitan). Everyone in Delhi wants to show off one thing or the other, u can see that in the Weddings held in Delhi, the weddings are exhorbitantly costly and Very Filmy. People are too much looks conscious, always worried about what they are wearing and of course more worried about what others are wearing...

As a general trend, people in delhi dont send their children to study outside Delhi, i really dont know why, also hardly anybody leaves the city to go out and work... mostly cos it has good colleges and good educational institutions and also has got OK OK job opportunities.

Delhi is also known for its huge Fashion Designer industry... most of the fashion designers are based in Delhi... and are found in Haus khaz Village or MG road. Due to the presence of fashion designers.. the modelling scene is very hot in delhi, every kid, even a little goodlooking wants to try out modelling... also that is the reason for the Janta being soo fashion conscious... Poeple dress everyday like they are goin for a party. Delhi janta is STAR STARVED... and they go Ballistic and what not whenever a star comes to town...

well thats it for now...

~Abha

8. padmamadhavan

padmamadhavan New IL'ite

Hi Thiruvottiyur is my home town.

History of Thiruvottiyur( This is the right way to pronounce) goes back to the B.C periods. The city was widely inhabited even before Chennai was formed. The THYAGARAJA SWAMY UDANURAI VADIVUDAIAMMAN TEMPLE ( http://www.vadivudaiamman.org/ ) is said to be first temple in earth after the maha Pralayam. Thiruvottiyur is also the house of the SAMADHI of great saint PATINATHAR. Its an esplanade located on the shore of bay of bengal. The Sea encroachment is amajor problem for the fisher men here.

9. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Lourdes is the largest Catholic pilgrimage destination in France.

1 person likes this.
  10. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Mysore : Very cool place. With too humid/warm.
    Seasons are very normal.