General cookery-related queries & Tips

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by simi, May 24, 2005.

1. smith21181

smith21181 Senior IL'ite

Hi there,

Could anyone tell me that where i will get knorr soup I mean in indian store or american store . I tried campbell brand soup & It was not good at all . Plz i am waiting for reply .

thanks in advance,
    smitha

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

Re: Question about Deggi Mirch

hello friend!
    there are lots of paprika varieties found in india.
    i will share with you what I know.
    Regular lal mirch- its quite hot, nearly as hot has cayenne but has a better flavour.belonging to h7 category.Hot Hot!

kashmiri lal mirch- mildly spicy, but amazing flavour and texture.It is used in Indian cooking, particularly in the relatively softly spiced meat dishes of the north. I use this one all the time though!:).. hotness is H3

Deggi Mirch- it is medium hot.Its a combination of reshampatti+paprika).Say hotness H5.I dont quite like it, and dont use it either.

I suggest either go kashmir lal mirch, but of u prefer extra hot then use regular lal mirch, or else use regular one in less quantity as per ur taste!

chilly powders around the world are marked as H0-H11, where H0 stands for zero hotness....

hope this helps!

3. vinu.satish

vinu.satish New IL'ite

receipes

hi,

im vinu,

can u pls give me recepies for gobi manchurian and mushroom manchurian. I also want a thick tomato soup as they give in hotels. Pls help me.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Re: Question about Deggi Mirch

Looneypooh:
    thanks so much for the comprehensive answer. I have some of that torrid lal mirch powder you mentioned and I use 1/2 or 1/4 of amount normally used. I made some baingan achaar with it at 1/4 quantity and it was still very hot as per comments of my Tamil friends here. I will give the Kashmiri chilli powder a try. I have not used the deggi mirch but I had wondered if I could swap Hungarian paprika for it in recipes.

A tip about spices: if you store your large quantities in the freezer you can keep them almost indefintely, just taking down small quantities for your spice box. This saves a lot of money and also effort if you are in countries other than India where its hard to find certain spices. I store in glass jars and you get no mingling of flavors that way and when it defrosts is very fresh tasting.

Regards!

5. tashidelek2002

Re: receipes

Vinu:
    I was frustrated with my friends directions for gobi manchurian but finally I watched a good video on Youtube that produced success for me. Look on Youtube for the videos by enlishtamil. His trick of using cornstarch just before the frying really made a nice crispy result.
    Hope this helps!

6. tashidelek2002

Re: receipes

Oops! spelling error: englishtamil

7. pav_3

pav_3 Senior IL'ite

Hello friends,

i bought a tortilla maker thinking that it will make my process of making roti easier. phew...what a disaster:spin every time rotis turned out very hard ,sometimes sticky and i had to recook them again on tava.Does anyone know the secret of making softer chapati's/rotis using tortilla maker?? kindly help....

thanks,
    pavi

8. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Pavi....

Post this query to Chitramma... she is using this already succesfully and i have seen pics of that also... where she even makes polis also... she might help you... view the below link she had given how to make poli using tortilla maker... hope she will surely guide you to make chappati also...:thumbsup

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/a...-photos-miscelaneous-dishes-3.html#post526875

9. tashidelek2002

I am also a distance from any Indian market so I also have a storage problem. Here are the things that I do:

For freezing, technically it is best to blanche the veg before freezing to stop the enzymatic activity that will occur in freezer that makes for a less quality frozen vegetable. It is easy to do....clean and prepare your vegetable for cooking and then get a big pot of water boiling. You put the veg in the boiling water for about 2 mins ONLY then fish it out and put in cold water and drain. YOu can then freeze a better quality product and it will last a lot longer. When you cook just prepare you curry and dump in the veg more towards the end as it is partially cooked.

For curry patta I have been trying this in the new vacuum bags with the handheld vacuum. They are zip bags and you can put your curry leaves in there and get out the air so it doesn't get freezer burn. I also did this with green chillies after cleaning them and blanching them. In this way you can get a few out and then seal again and vac out the air.

Another thing you can do is for the veg that doesn't freeze well or that you want to cook immediately, make a big amount and you can freeze the cooked food in plastic containers or you can up vacuum boil in bags. The later are great because you can reheat in microwave or by putting the frozen unopened bag in a pot of boiling water until it is hot and just serve...virtually no vclean up and no work. This is also good if you are needing sonmehting when you are tired or sick or out of town and the family is fending for themselves.

10. pav_3

pav_3 Senior IL'ite

Thanks vahee....will post the same query under chitvish forum....

pavi