Gardens & Parks of Delhi

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Delhi' started by shefalisingh, Feb 3, 2010.

1. shefalisingh

shefalisingh Senior IL'ite

Delhi is considered to be one of the greenest capitals. There are so many well laid gardens, parks, traffic roundabouts in Delhi all of which contribute to the greenery of the national capital.
    As the winter is on its way out, the parks and gardens are in full bloom. It is a pleasure to view the aesthetically laid out gardens and traffic round abouts.
    Every one knows about the Mughal Gardens at Rashtrapati Bhawan in Delhi. Monuments like Humayun Tomb are in the middle of well laid out gardens.Lodi Gardens, Buddha Jayanti Park and the Millenium Park are other examples of well laid out gardens which make living in Delhi such a pleasure.

1 person likes this.

2. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:placeName w:st="on">Lodi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Garden</st1:placeType> is a fine picnic spot in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. It is a popular destination among the young and the old alike. With its green lawns, jogging pathways, numerous big trees, and colourful flowers, <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Lodi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place> offers a nice getaway from the daily hustle bustle of the city life.
    The <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Lodi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place> are thought to have been established in the 15th and the 16th centuries by the Sayyids and Lodis. During the British Raj, the <st1:placeName w:st="on">Lodi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType> was landscaped by Lady Willingdon, wife of the then Governor-General of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. It was called the '<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Lady</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Willingdon</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>' when it was inaugurated on April 1936. In 1968, J A Stein and Garrett Eckbo re-landscaped these gardens giving them their present beautified forms.

3. Shabnam88

Shabnam88 New IL'ite

Yes, the vast grounds of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Lodi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Garden</st1:placeType></st1:place> are very popular among joggers. With carefully kept gardens, and well maintained monuments have attracted Bollywood directors and many a film shooting had taken place here in the days of yore. Recently the NDMC has decided to open a butterfly enclosure at the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Lodi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Garden</st1:placeType></st1:place>.

4. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

I recently paid a visit to The Garden of Five Senses near Saiud ul jab, Mehrauli in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">South Delhi</st1:place>. It was established by the Delhi Development Authority in the year 2003. The Garden has been so called because it has been designed to serve all fives senses of human body i.e. you can see, hear, smell, touch and taste. The attractions of the Garden of Five Senses are the Khas Bagh, Neel Bagh, <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Color</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place>, <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Food Court</st1:address></st1:Street>, the Sculptures and the Courts of Specimen Plants.

The Khas Bagh is the main garden and follows the design pattern of Mughal gardens. There are canals, shrubs and fountains fitted with lights of various hues. It is a splendid sight to see the effect of colourful fountains at night. If you care for a bite, just step into the food court which serves delicacies from many states of the country.

5. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

My friend took me to the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Buddha</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Jayanti</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>. It is located in <st1:place>South Delhi</st1:place>, on the <st1:Street><st1:address>Ridge Road</st1:address></st1:Street>, near Dhaula Kuan. This park was built in the commemoration of the 2500<SUP>th</SUP> anniversary of the attainment of Nirvana by Gautam Buddha.

The garden looks picturesque because of the lush lawns, blossoming flowers, huge trees, sloping terrain and beautiful streams. The pathways are paved.

I was thrilled to see the sapling of the Bodhi Tree that has been brought from <st1:country-region><st1:place>Sri Lanka</st1:place></st1:country-region> and planted in this park. This sapling, undoubtedly, holds a special place for the Buddhist followers, as it has been taken from the same Bodhi Tree, under which Buddha had attained enlightenment.

6. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

I love visiting the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Talkatora</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place>. It is situated on the main Willingdon Crescent Road in <st1:City><st1:place>New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. The place where the garden now is situated once had a huge walled tank. The tank has been replaced by a small swimming pool. But it is still named after the tank. “Tal” means tank and “katora” means cup. The location of this garden had once hosted a battle in which the Mughals had defeated the Marathas.

I love the splendid look of this exquisitely manicured garden. Spring blooms here in its full glory with the colorful flowers, blossoming plants and shrubs.

7. Ashapatel

Ashapatel Junior IL'ite

I too felt amazed by the Garden of Five Senses during my visit to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. I didn’t expect to find such an enchanting garden in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. I was struck by the beauty of the Neel Bagh. It has a pool of water lilies encircled by a blue pergols which in turn are covered with climbing plants of different colours. Just above us were hundreds of ceramic bells. A soft breeze blew and the bells started to chime with a melody all their own.
    I also liked the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Colour</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place> which brought together an amazing composition of flowering shrubs.The Courts of Specimen Plants displays an interesting variety of bamboo and cacti.

Anyone here planning to visit the Garden of Five Senses?

8. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

Yes Amrita, you are right. Kunal, the son of Emperor Ashoka, took a sapling from that tree and planted it in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Sri Lanka</st1:place></st1:country-region>, in 261 BC. The sapling at <st1:place><st1:placeName>Buddha</st1:placeName><st1:placeName>Jayanti</st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> is from that Sri Lankan tree only.

Programs and discussions are organized here by Buddhist sects and organizations. Buddhism discourse classes are also held in the garden, regulalrly. I find these discourses to be very popular among the foreigners residing in <st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>.

<st1:place><st1:placeName>Buddha</st1:placeName><st1:placeName>Jayanti</st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> is a very popular picnic spot. We went there for picnic from our office, for two consecutive years. <st1:place><st1:placeName>Buddha</st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> is a favourite among children because of the huge open areas as well as the games facilities.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  9. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

I have visited the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Talkatora</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place>. Apart from the scenic beauty, one of the prime attractions of this place is the Talkatora Indoor Stadium. A number of programs, shows and competitions are held here throughout the year. Regular shows are organized here, in order to develop the interest of children in the science of horticulture.

I felt the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Talkatora</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place> was a perfect picnic spot. I went there at the end of a very hectic and stressful week. I felt as if the beauty and serenity of the place helped me to relax and forget all my worries.
    We took a number of pictures.

10. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Every year, I make it a point to visit the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Mughal</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place>. The <st1:placeName w:st="on">Mughal</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType> are perhaps <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>’s best known Gardens. The world famous <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Mughal</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place> are open for the general public every year in the month of Feb – March. The <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Mughal</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place> cover an area of six acres within the high security Rashtrapati Bhawan complex.
    The gardens were designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and W R Mustoe in 1929. There is a distinct Mughal influence in the design of the Gardens. For example, there are canals, multi level terrace gardens and flowering shrubs all of which are features of Mughal gardens. The <st1:placeName w:st="on">Mughal</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType> consist of three gardens – the <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rectangular</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Garden</st1:placeType>, the Long garden and the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Circular</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Garden</st1:placeType></st1:place>.
    Do write in with your impression of the Mughal Gardens!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010