1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Garbage Out Good Things In!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jaishvats, Jan 30, 2011.

1. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

It’s quite surprising that at times in life some of the very trivial things can give you immense pleasure. That’s what exactly I am feeling now. A sense of achievement and a satisfaction of a job well done.

I have not completed some major assignment at work or climbed Mount Everest or participated in a marathon. All I did was clean up my store room.

Well the store room is one of those places that get fully occupied in no time due to their pure existence. It is like a recycle bin in your home where you dump anything and everything that you don’t want lying around to be examined later.

In my case it played the dual room of store room and safe room. Anything and everything that we had to protect from our toddler or protect him from ended up there. One point of time we moved our dining chairs in as he was dragging them around the house and climbing over to really dangerous places

It in fact became like a maze. To get to the rear end of its six foot length we had to go by leaps and bounds.

Weekends consist of two main things that you do. Planning things you want to do and postponing the things you plan. This activity would come to my mind every time I opened the store room either to dump something or take something. “This Sat I must clear this mess up!” I would tell myself and then one Sat will go. Then another one! Then another! The poor store room would continue its wait for me to do some clearing and provide it some breathing space.

Every dog has his day and so does every store room. Some things in life are better done when not planned and are done when the thought just crosses your mind.

I had actually planned for it in the afternoon but an interesting movie stole that time. In the evening I got this sudden urge to complete that long due task and I got into the clearing spree. Thanks to my darling husband who offered a hand it was done in no time.

Another thing that gives you great pleasure is disposing off things that are of no more use to you than a …….. Well, I started off that line thinking I would put a nice comparison that would put a smile on the reader’s face like say a woolen blanket in a hot desert but not a very nice example eh? Well I even thought of a book to a blind man….but it could be in Braille and he could use it for something else like fanning himself….or protect himself by hitting someone who attacked him? Oh dear!! My imagination is at hard work and I am putting all that is coming to my mind to pen! That’s DEVIATION FROM THE TOPIC!!!

Okay getting back on track , there would be things that you have stacked up for no reason other than a “May be it will be of some use” thought .We had a pedestal fan that was to all appearances a fan but functionally not any better than a piece of wood. We had a revolving chair which had only its wheels intact. One thing to keep in mind when cleaning or reorganizing your stuff is to be in a mental make-up to throw away the unnecessary stacked up extras. Luckily I was in this mindset when I did my store room cleaning and out went my pedestal fan and revolving chair and a lot of other unnecessary things.

One more good thing about a cleaning spree is that you end up finding long lost things that you have been searching for quite some time and had actually given up the search expecting them to be lost forever. I did find a few of these. Not any precious or valuable things; a foot scrubber, a long lost nylon rope, some garments but still it was good to find them. They did add to my teeny weeny happiness.

As I type this a thought creeps into my mind. And it is about the same human mind. Just like a store room we keep dumping so many things into our minds. Good things – appreciations, happy memories, achievements, good thoughts, noble intentions. Bad things – past grudges, bad memories, a whole lot of irritation and anger, bad intentions etc. Just like my store room it would be good to clear our minds every now and then. Throw out all the rubbish - past grudges, anger, irritation etc. They might be hiding some long lost happy memories and thoughts.

A memory about a hurting word uttered by a person can shadow all happy memories of moments spent with him… An anger about one quality of a person can shadow all his other good qualities….

It is definitely easier said than done. But all of us can definitely give it a try right? Even I am still in the trial stage for that matter!