Garam Masala in recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Cindhuja, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

I always have this doubt when i come across the term Garam Masala.When this ingredient is used in a recipe, how do you all handle.Do you make a garam masala powder @ home or do use store brought(some reputed brands).

Sure with this masala the taste of the dish differs though the same recipe is followed :hide:

Someone please help me with this :bowdown

2. sweetoo

sweetoo Silver IL'ite

I always love to add garam masala in recipes which really need to be spicy like chhole, rajma etc but i used to add it at the end and then covering with the lid so that the aroma of the masalas get mixed in the dish, i always used to buy the readymade branded ones.

3. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Cindhuja,

We include less spice at home,especially mild amount of onion & garlic:hide:.Iam an ardent lover of onion+garlic+garam masala:crazy.I used to buy Sakthi masala/AAchi for instant powders.Since the usaqge is less,we buy it as instant powders.

I heard that freshly ground powders gives good taste for non veg dishes nd gravies:crazy

4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Ya RG..Many make it fresh @ home but none have disclosed the secret :rant:rant

Me too use Sakthi masala..But i feel some brands used in north gives the perfect aroma..Like Everest masala and few more..

Thought some experts would drop in and share the masala recipe :hide:

5. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Cindhu,
    I use MTR Garam masala or Everest Kitchen King maasla both of which add a distinct flavour to the dish. Wanted to also add about the Maggi 'Bhuna Masala' which comes in form of pickle like mixture that will add the neded onion and tomato to the dish!!! This comes in two varieties, one to be used for curries, vegetables and the other for dals, gravies! Try it out it does enhance that taste for sure!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Thansk for the insight Janani. I have tried the Bhuna masala for Non-veg recipes that was good but not much helpful for a south indian recipe.Will check with the veggie masla soon.

Amidst there was another advertisement from maggi...It was small sachet pack(Rs.2/-)..A powdery masla pack similar to the size of the taste maker inside maggi noodles..What they explained in TV was..to add this masla powder for curries like allo-mutter/aloo-gobi and so on..Guess it works out as a side dish masala for a roti.

But i checked in the nearby stores none of them had it :rant:rant..they are not even able to understand and they start marketing this Bhuna masala pack :rant

7. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Cindhu,

Iam a veggie here and I do use it for all the gravies, vegetables that I make, what i do is after I add the bhuna masala add a little wter to it so that the spice gets added to the curry / gravy evenly. Yesterday I added it to the idiyappam I made! Tasted real good!
    The Maggi Rs.2 sachet is very spicy and tastes so much like what comes the noodles!

8. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Chinduja,
    Sorry to interrupt your post about the maggie masala powder and that it enhances the food...but in another thread here in this forum there was a discussion that these type of podis have Chinese salt which is very harmful for health.
    Here I am giving you the link of some podis made by Chitvish mam and by krishnaamma.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/ask-chitvish/22720-z-order-chitvish-recipes-easy-5.html
    Check on page 5 of the alphabet P

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/krishnaammas-kitchen/3701-house-made-ready-made-powders-3.html
    Love
    Shanta

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  9. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

So kind of you shanta mam..Will sure check them :thumbsup