Ganga - how the river is worshipped in Ganga Dussehra

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by shaliniku, Feb 25, 2009.

1. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Ganga Dussehra is a festival that takes place in the month of June for a period of ten days. During this festival, devotees worship the holy river Ganga whom they refer both as a Goddess and as a mother.

Places, like Prayag, Varanasi, Haridwar, Rishikesh, Garh-Mukteshwar etc, where the Ganga flows are considered as sacred places.

People flock to Varanasi and its many ghats that touch the water of Ganga on the western bank. They worship the water, dip in it and take the holy clay with themselves.

Aratis are performed in Haridwar at twilight and hundreds of devotees meditate and sing bhajans on the banks of the holy river.

Have you ever taken part in the Ganga Dussehra festival?

2. charandeepkaur

charandeepkaur New IL'ite

Ganga ki kya baat karu yaar. Dil nu vadi shanti milti hai waha jaa ke. Aur waha ki aarti aur bhakti ke to kya kehne. Aisa lagda hai jaise ki sawarg me aa chuke hai. Sometimes i get no words to express. Sach main apne desh ki to baat hi nirali hai. But i really feel hurt when i see the condition of river Ganga. Saddi government kuch dhyan hi nahi deti hai. Itni changi gajah aur itni buri halat. Aankh vich aansu aa jate hai. Koi dass sakda hai menu ehojai government naal ki kitta jaye? Ganga ki halat vekkhi nai jandi.