Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

So you're planning on impressing them by insisting that they obtain credentials on top of their doctoral (and possibly post-doctoral) slog (at a school of education perhaps? In pedagogy? And learning theory?) Yes, yes, go right on ahead - win friends and influence people is what I say!:lol:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Rihana likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

LOL.. no, there is genuine curiosity too. How do people with poor teaching ability manage. This couple is good, and I would not mind attending a course either teaches! They regale us with stories, and I want to ask less newbie kewstins

3. sokanasanah

I think you should first check them out on RateMyProfessors.com.
    First things first - how do they rank on a 'hotness' scale of 1-4?
    Just grind 'em to dust if they refuse to be impressed by your akshaya patra.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana - congrats on the new laptop. I just broke my third one in a twelve months span. Managing with the phone.

Wonder when my IT guy is going to get tired of fixing/replacing? I dread the day he's going to tell me "You broke it. Pay for it with your allowance. I'm not fixing it for you".

Rihana likes this.
  5. sokanasanah

This is one of those 'don't get me started' situations. Nothing I have heard about teacher training programs or ed-schools makes me want to go anywhere near them. And I would not want any of those teaching 'experts' coming anywhere near me. Now, today is one of my good days - I'm all self-aware and mindful and whatnot, so I will cease and desist with my opinions forthwith and let others speak:
    Ed schools-1
    Ed schools-2

At the fuzzy boundaries of education, this is the kind of (soon to be) Ivy-League Grad we produce, a student of 'Communication' no less.
    And whether that student realizes it or not, here is a hoist-by-his-own-petard takedown by a fellow student, privileged no doubt (mark the phone conversation quoted verbatim).

Mr. Fisher would do well to switch to a program in organic chemistry.

This is not to say that teaching cannot be taught, but I shudder at the very thought of institutionalizing that effort or unleashing university administrators on this task. Not that they haven't already made a beginning.
    :yikes::mad:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Rihana and vaidehi71 like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Nonya and Rihana like this.
  7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Graduate teaching assistants get some boot camp during their phd years. Some Universities do it well, and others leave it completely OJT. Many have graduation req of number of semesters of TA work to get a phd.

In STEM major TA ratings by undergrads there is always a huge mass of complaints about the Indians and Chinese. Every year. And parents learn that their child is not in Kansas anymore. No more parent teacher conference to fix things. Even in small colleges.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It simms someone asked kaniths over the weekend when something would happen. kaniths said 'When Dubai freezes over.'

: )

9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Err what? blinK. blanK. boinK. :grazy:

((Dubai is indeed 'freezzzing'!!:cheer: Im enjoying the cold and the warmth too)) :relaxed::relaxed:

IMG-20170202-WA0005~01.jpg

Rihana likes this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why the angry imp face? :grinning: It was very nice talking to you too. I second @jskls . Hard to believe this chatter box K is so soft-spoken!

kaniths likes this.