1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fused Bulb

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by jayasala42, Aug 5, 2021.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A senior executive retired and shifted from his palatial official quarters to the housing society, where he owned a flat. He considered himself big and never talked to anyone. Even while walking in the society park every evening, he ignored others, looking at them with contempt.
    One day, it somehow transpired that an elderly person sitting beside him started a conversation, and they continued to meet. Every conversation was mostly a monologue with the retired executive harping on his pet topic, “Nobody can imagine the big post and high position I held before retirement; I came here due to compulsions”; and so on, and the other elderly person used to listen to him quietly.
    After many days, when the retired executive was inquisitive about others, the elderly listener opened his mouth and said, “After retirement, we are all like fused bulbs. It does not matter what a bulb’s wattage was, how much light or glitter it gave, after it gets fused.”
    He continued, “I have been living in this society for the last 5 years and have not told anyone that I was a Member of the Parliament for two terms. On your right, over there is Vermaji, who retired as General Manager in Indian Railways. Over there is Singh Saheb, who was a Major General in the Army. That person sitting on the bench in spotless white dress is Mehraji, who was the chief of ISRO before retirement. He hasn’t revealed it to anyone, not even to me, but I know."
    “All fused bulbs are now the same – whatever its wattage was – 0, 10, 40, 60, 100 watts – it doesn’t matter now. Neither does it matter what type of bulb it was before it got fused – LED, CFL, Halogen, Incandescent, fluorescent, or decorative. And that, my friend, applies to you too. The day you understand this, you will find peace and tranquillity even in this housing society.”
    "The rising sun as well as the setting sun are both beautiful and adorable. But, in reality, the rising sun gets more importance and adoration, and is even worshipped , whereas the setting sun is not given the same reverence. It is better to understand this sooner than later”.
    Our current designation, title and power are not permanent. Keeping a lot of emotions with these things only complicates our life when we lose this one day.
    Jayasala42
    Remember that when the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

NOW, joylokhi, Cheeniya and 3 others like this.

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

I like this share...... henceforth, some of us would recognize fused bulbs in forum posts, especially the ones that go on droning about their lives and careers. :beer-toast1:

Anonymous internet forums, as well as common venues in housing society condominiums, give a chance for the retired persons to assume a new persona, one that does not have to put-up-a-show and make a living at it, like what many had done in their working lives. The few who take up that opportunity are the happy ones. The lot that still harp on about former fiefs and domains in whatever gov'ment /corporate hierarchy are sad idiots.

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks. A very interesting share.
    I happen to read this in author’s blog sathyaparamdheemahi long back where his friend criticised the author’s story is unreal as officials name mentioned their are not real. Whether names are real or un real, the undercurrent of the story is quite relevant to the retirees whose mind still lives in euphoria and past glory.

Hopikrishnan likes this.
  4. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

... a retreaded version of the story that has been going around, is about the even handedness of the Covid-19 virus in infecting a lowly peon as well as a big shot in the same organization where it has established a foothold. A fair virus that is, even though it has no hands or feet.

Thyagarajan likes this.