Fundamentalists forcing M.F. Hussain to live in excile

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Sonya4mdelhi, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Sonya4mdelhi

Sonya4mdelhi Senior IL'ite

Few years agon, in one of the worst acts of Hindu fundamentalism, M. F. Hussain's paintings were attacked and destroyed by the workers of Shiv Sena and RSS.

They did this disgusting deed on the pretext that he has painted some Hindu Gods in nude. Since then, he is forced to live outside the country as he fears more attacks.

So, tell me, is it right take away somebody's freedom of expression and artistic freedom like this. Shouldn't our government give security to M.F. Hussain and ask him to come back?

What are your views on the painter?

2. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

hi I amnithya.
    I dont agree with you arguing for hussain.He may be a nice artist .But who gave him right to hurt hindu sentiments.By telling this ,i dont mean i support sivsena.But you dont have the right to do things that hurt others.
    What he has doneis notfreedom of expression,But a simple act of rudeness and indifference to the sentiments of fellow humanbeing.

3. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Hussain should have thought before painting such pictures, how would people of other religions react if same thing had been done to their religious icons ?
    This is an inherent problem in our country, we just dont mind being made fun of and ridiculed !! Freedom of expression does not mean doing whatever one wishes in any country.

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

What would be the reaction if Christ is painted with some women in a leisurely pose? What would be the reaction if Mohammed is painted in a absurd way? Buddha naked?

There are sensitive statements in every religion right and who gives the right to these people to mock in the name of art?

I ask this question to Hussain, why doesn't he paint something from his own religion so far? There seems to be so many wives for their Prophet right? why don't he artfully create a picture of his prophet with all his wives having fun? It's just art ain't?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. ShardaSuresh

ShardaSuresh Bronze IL'ite

I agree with Nandshyam, these paintings are offensive. Indian art does depict our goddesses in the nude, but they are not shown in a sensuous manner. I have seen M.F's paintings and there is something offensive about them.

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

There is a difference between artistic freedom and sheer rudeness. Hussein painted Mother Theresa, we all lauded the picture with him. The paintings for which the Shiv Sena attacked him, were most offensive. Not just to Hindu religion, but to any human being, who has a basic sense of decency and dignity. Hussein has painted Devi Saraswathi without clothes. He has painted Seeta Devi as wrapped round and riding on the tail of Lord Hanuman, in the most compromising pose and act. He has painted Ram and Seetha in a lewd manner in the heart of Hanuman. I am not describing these pictures (if they may be called so) to instigate more heated emotions. I just want to remind myself why Hussein is in the trouble that he now is.

I definitely do not support Shiv Sena for their vandalism. But I agree with another member here. Why does Hussein not have the canvas to paint pictures degrading any other religion? That would be just as offensive, but then Hussein would not be living in exile, fearing his life. He would just be dead and gone, rather killed and gone.

And talking of artistic freedom and the right to it, well, Hussein can choose to make a moral statement from his heart and soul. Let him stand by what he has painted come back to India, and face the consequences however, morbid and fatal they may be to him. Let him walk the talk. Why should we defend him, when he himself does not have the courage of conviction to stand by his paint?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  7. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

Did anybody see today's news? M.F.Hussain is given Qatar citizenship.He is thinking whether to accept it or not.:rotfl. Anyway who wants him to be here.If he has so much love for India, that he is hesitant to accept the citizenship offer by qatar ,then why he draw all those pictures?
    Let him draw like this in qatar,I am sure he will get what he deserves.

8. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi pashni,
    its just because of thinking of people like u that India is getting bad name.
    have u seen God.does he looks like us humans.or was God potrait sitting for Mr Hussain that u people have objection about his pictures.
    my dear,just because God is above our mean thnking he is God.if he lacked virtues like tolerance,forgivness,love he would be called HUMAN not GOD.
    pragati
    p.s: it would be biggest shame for us peolpe(not for our country)if Mr Hussain choose Quatar citizenship

9. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Why do people throw a tantrum and fit and go up in arms if an artist or writer happens to exercise his freedom of expression to paint or write something? Whatever happened to freedom of speech and freedom of expression? Religion and God maybe sacred to you but it is not sacred for everyone. And democratic societies clearly separate religion and state and provide for press and artistic freedoms under their constitutions and protection of civil liberties.
    I am tired of all these people getting touchy about some artist or writer offending their religion and god. If you are offended by it, do not look at it or read it but do not infringe on others freedoms and liberties to appreciate it. They did this rubbish to Salman Rushdie and then 3 or 4 years back, all that hue and cry about those Mohammed cartoons and all the muslims going barmy over some cartoons and protesting that the press should not show or publish them. First off, these people come and settle in UK & Europe for the personal freedoms and liberties and then get offended when someone draws a few cartoons of their favourite god or prophet. Well if you want to revere Mohammed or Jesus or Krishna and kill people who offend them, then piss off to the countries which do that. Do not stay in a free country and infringe on other people's liberties because you cannot take a joke or freedom of expression on your beloved mythical character.

This is funny and ironic that Qatar, a fundamentalist tyrannical muslim country would offer M.F Hussain refuge from India, a democratic country with freedoms LOL Maybe this is all about them gloating that the artist's work offended a religion they consider as their nemesis. Wait till he draws offensive paintings of Mohammed and Allah :rotfl They will issue a decree to chase M.f Hussain to the ends of earth to kill him and feed his body to the wolves.

This whole thing is so childish and immature, but then again, anything that involves religious fervour almost always is.

10. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dearie,

Spend your energy championing other causes. Not M.F.Hussain.I am NOT a fundamentalist but M.F.Hussain will get what he deserves. You cannot live in a country where you decide to hurt the sentiments of the majority claiming it to be art.

Usha