Full time Software Engineering or split time for clothing business ?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by reca, Feb 18, 2016.

1. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello IL,
    I am Reca and I work as a Software Engineer in Germany. Basically I work as a Research and Development Engineer and passionate about my work .
    Also I have interest to open a e-shop and sell western clothes online . I have no idea how to do this although !
    But I am keen to know , if anyone already having e-shopping store and how easy/ difficult to manage it alone ?
    Please suggest if I have to stick to my Software engineering job full time or split time for business . I am 26 year old and I have no idea how to run business yet alone.
    Regards,
    Reca

2. JShreenath

JShreenath Senior IL'ite

Reca,
    It's admirable that you have a desire to start your own business. When I read your words, it appears that you are not too sure; I see a cluttered and confused mind probably having hard time to make a decision.
    Only you alone can decide for yourself. Best thing is to ask yourself 'who do I want to be as a person long term? What kind of feelings I want to feel every day in the long term? From this you can derive the next set of questions ' who do I want to be in my life? what do I want to have and what do I want to do ? All long term questions first.
    Then you ask yourself ' if I continue to work as an R & D software engineer, where will I be years from now? Will I be fulfilled with a long term career in software engineering?(If you have long term goals and visions set up in this field you might be climbing up the corporate ladder; so would that make you happy? etc etc)'
    Now shift your questions to clothing business online. If I don't do this will I be fulfilled in the long term, and in short term?' What would I miss if I don't do it? What would I gain by doing this?
    You have to keep asking yourself these questions that either induces pain or pleasure when you answer them.
    You can even ask - Is it possible for me to start small in the short term, in a way I can manage it while I work full time? If it begins to grow, say in a year two or five, then I can always evaluate whether I want to go full time or focus part time on software,.....'
    Remember the only limitations we humans have are the ones we set on our own minds
    Good luck
    S

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  3. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello JShreenath,
    First of all many thanks to you . You are right ! I was in a confused state of mind. Clothing business idea struck my mind since one of my aunt works as a Manager in a Garment industry. It seemed quite colorful and different.
    I am not from fashion industry, so it might need a different way of thinking to run a business in that line . My current job is very creative in terms of Engineering and I like it . As you said, I have to think about my long term goals.
    If I am not going to start a business, I am not really going to loose anything , however I may loose a different field experience.
    If anyone with my kind of background is already running such business, their inputs also might have been useful .
    Again I will really think hard before making further moves .
    Thank you JShreenath for sorting my thoughts.
    Regards,
    Reca