1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Front Loading Washers: Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Vandhana, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,

My trust washing machine finally died on me :cry: , and now have to go in for a new one. I am thinking of buying the Front loader. While from all the reviews i Have been reading Bosch is the best, anyone of you have any experience with Kenmore, Whirlpool, maytag etc....
    Please do let me know and also how much you paid for it. Till then i am becoming quite an expert in washing clothes in the bath tub:clap :yes:

Thanks
    Vandhana

2. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vandhana,

I have been using IFB only for the past 15 years and have had no problem whatsoever. I paid about 18-19000 then for the machine for a 5kg load, I guess.

Their service has also been good all these days, but this is in India. I don't know about your place.
    All the best
    Latha :wave

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Latha,

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes the Washing machine scene is totally different here. The Bosch model lowest price I have seen is about 1000 dollars. So have to think twice before going in for this. And also the technician I spoke to says that most WMs here have life of about 8 to 10 yrs!.

Vandhana

4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Oh, Vandhana, how sad - washing clothes finally???? maybe the right thing to do on International Women's Day:2thumbsup: ... hey, hey, hey, don't throw things at me now . I jsut finished with my work and wondering wht sweet to make- today being the great W Day.

I've got a LG front loading m/c - front loading m/c seems to the best. you might not get LG there but whatever buy one sooon... can't see you entangled with your clothes.

Happy washing & clear the tub fast. you might need it for the evening. hubby might come with roses and candles and some aromatic oils gift pack --- :mrgreen:

5. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Hi Vandhana,

I am sorry about your plight...

We have an LG washer.....model WM1814CW. We bought it last year at HomeDepot. Its a front loading one and its been doing a pretty good job till now. I feel front loader is the best too, we can wash our heavy comforters and pillows in a front loader easily. In the model that we have, I have washed a Queen size comforter easily.....but our friends here have a bigger model and she has used it to wash her king size comforter with no problems. I think we had paid around $800 last year.....with some 10% off sale.

Till then enjoy hand washing :2thumbsup:

Regards,
    Sihi

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

dear Sihi,

Thanks for the info. yes i was thinking 800 bucks for a front loader seems to be decent. i was reading the consumer reviews and LG did get a good rec. So will look around to see if ican get it here. You have made my job simpler for me. whirlpool and kenmore have been getting bad reviews except fo their high end model and Bosch is way too much. Hope fully i can find a good deal on the LG.

Thanks Again
    Vandhana

7. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Hi Vandhana,

Hope you find a good deal. We had also checked Consumer Reports before making a decision and LG had good reviews and that's the reason we went for it. And till now I don't have any complaints with my washer...its been over an year now.

Take Care,
    Sihi

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vandhana,

Sorry for coming a bit late on the scene. Have you bought your washer dryer? We bought front loader last year. Our first instinct was also to go for Bosch, the best name and made in Germany and all! But we were not so sure if it was really worth all that money. We have bought GE and I am very happy with it. Sears had a very good offer at that time. They also informed us that it is the same company that makes Bosch also make these machines. See, the Bosch ones you get here are also manufactured here now, they are not direct imports from Germany. We paid something between 850-900 ea, the exact figure is not in my head anymore. HTH.

L, Kamla

9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamla,

Thanks for the info, no have not bought the washer yet. still researching and so your input is indeed valuable. Ya i thought as much that the Bosch products are made here now. Will look into the ge as well, and then decide. probably go shopping today for the washer.

Vandhana

10. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vandhana and other ladies,

Vandhana sorry to hear about your machine and hope you do find a good one of your choice soon. Good luck. I am of no help here since I have only a top loading but was wondering, what is the benefit of a front loading machine? Just preparing myself if disaster strikes. I always end up opening my machine in the middle and adding clothes:cry: Can you ladies educate me here? Would appreciate it and thanks in advance.
    Love,