1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

From Cheeniya to Varalotti with love!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When I saw Chithra’s thread greeting Sridhar aka Varalotti a day earlier, I could understand her eagerness to beat everyone else to start this coveted thread! Look at the time when it was posted. 6 a.m.! Within minutes of its appearances, greetings have started pouring in! With my limited knowledge of IL, I have seen that it’s not a wise thing to start any new thread on a Saturday for the weekend hibernation sets in and there will be hardly any response. And who would bear to see her thread going unnoticed? I have felt it too when my initial posts went abegging! But Chithra took the risk because she knew that the subject matter of her thread defied all calculations! She knew that even if it is a week of only Saturdays, a thread on Varalotti was bound to draw the crowds!

I was in a dilemma. Whether I should join others under Chithra’s thread and offer my greetings or not. I paced the floor like the famous Hamlet asking myself, To join or not to join! I was not sure if it was IL etiquette that once a thread was started to wish someone, you would have to necessarily join it and not start another thread afresh. I generally do not like breaking rules and etiquettes but in this case, I decided to break it even if there was a rule like that! I just cannot post a mundane message saying “I join others in wishing you a happy birthday’ when it comes to a great personality like Sridhar. Justice must be done even it meant breaking a few rules!

In referring to Sridhar, you would have noticed that I used the word ‘personality’ instead of a ‘person’ and you would have instantly understood my rating of Varalotti. A person is just a nondescript individual, but a personality is a celebrity. We use the word personality to refer to people whose contribution in any chosen field stands out like a beacon. Personality is to a man what fragrance is to a flower. Personality in man is what is "not his own" . . . what come from outside, what he has learned, or reflects, all traces of exterior impressions left in the memory. All of us are born equal but what distinguishes a person is what he acquires during his march through life. While many continue to remain a person throughout life, a chosen few become a personality. Sridhar is one such person who has blossomed into a personality. The fragrance of his erudition has made this Sridhar the most sought after flower everywhere.

I did not quite understand that bit of Chithra of Sridhar being eternally 28 but I can say this much. For most of us, age shows in the face but only in a handful, it shows in their wisdom. Among such people of wisdom, there will be a rare gem whose face will show a physical age of 30 and the wisdom of an octogenarian! (I have seen your picture, Sridhar!) In the physical context, I have but to agree with Chithra!

Sridhar and I belong to an exclusive fraternity whose ideals are very lofty. It constantly reminds us that all of us are here for a purpose known only to Him. Whatever we are engaged in, there is a Godly purpose behind it. Utter devotion is expected of us no matter if we are cleaning a toilet or launching a rocket in Sriharikota. I can see how much of the ideals of the Fraternity has been imbibed by Sridhar as evidenced in everything he does.

I feel honoured to share my thoughts on a person who I consider as a phenomenon of IL. The love and affection that he enjoys here can only be a small repayment of the great debt we owe him. May God bless Sridhar with long life, higher learning and ready willingness to share it with others. I call him my younger Brother without even thinking if I would ever be able to justify my role as his elder Brother!
    God bless you, Sridhar!

1 person likes this.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Re: From Varalotti To Cheeniya With Love!

Dear Sri,

I was engaged in the toughest of calculations in office. My brain was in a hard, highly heated state. And there comes your thread which makes my heart melt, my eyes full and my brain again to the soft relaxed state, when the heart is soaked in such pure love.

As a very young boy I had many theories about people, world and life. All of them got struck down at times even violently by the actual experience.
    Then only I realised as the saying goes, wisdom consists not of knowledge gained but of illusions lost.

But one proposition, one theory, which was valid when I first found it, continues to be valid even now, and will be valid for another trillion years is this: God, Our Dear God, acts on the basis of mercy and not justice. You do not have to go far and wide to seek proof of this proposition. My life is one dynamic proof. For if the Heavanly Being had acted only on justice and equity, I would not have got many things in life. In fact I would not have had my life itself.
    God has been merciful and I am tempted to even say, to me, unfairly and unjustly merciful, in bestowing good parents, in giving me an angel for my wife and another for my daughter. I deserve none of His blessings.

God's mercy shines in his gift of friends to me, both in IL and out of IL. If some well-meaning, gracious and well-placed ladies the world over should stop on their tracks today to greet a plain mofussil accountant, do you require any further proof of His Mercy, Cheeniya?

And to be greeted by a Brother, to be so praised by a writer who has endeared himself to every person in IL, is again an act of unsurpassed Mercy of the GATOU.

Sri, if I attempt to say something like Thank you or kind of you, then I would be blaspheming your purest love and kindest sentiments. So let me add to by burden of gratitude by requesting you, Brother Sri, to pray on my behalf, that I should any day deserve the affection showered on me by people like you.

Bless me Sri.
    With Brotherly Love,
    your
    sridhar

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

My , my....what's happening here.?! A mutual admiration club of Men or a Brotherly love club or a Spirituality club! from one great soul to another...and what a pleasure we ILites are getting to read this ....:wink:

Cheeniya sir, that was a very heartfelt greetings to Sridhar.....felt good to read it!
    And Sridhar's reply acknowledging was all lovely....GOD BEING A MERCIFUL ONE! Wow Sridhar that was a profound thought and you really put it down well!

(by the way isn't your b'day on 29th...we here in Germany dont wish before...so will wait till tomorrow!)

We Ilites are lucky to have such MEN among us !:2thumbsup:

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear Sri & Sridhar,

I am just overwhelmed by the beautiful exchange of words between the two undisputed writers in I L.
    Sri,
    As a moderator it is my duty to combine the 2 threads since the threads are started for the same person. But, let me frankly tell you, I do not have the heart to do it. I want every one to read the way you both admire eachother so eloquently. It is so enjoyable & you have made us, ladies green with envy that two men can be mutual fans !( Now, I know what you will say - please do not say !).
    Sridhar,
    I am not justified in telling you that before bothering to reply me, you have done it to Sri. I am not mean & I am more than happy to note the prevailing bonhomie between my two friends in I L.

Pray, I L reaches great heights with such comaradarie between Induslad & Indusman.

My love & regards to both the Greats of this forum,
    Chithra.

5. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,
    Your post was verywarm and heartfelt It is nice to see such a comaradie culture here. As sudha said, I wait for tomorrow to wish. With such eagerness to start threads for wishing friends i am sure next time we have to start a week ahead. You were right sir, your thread is real winner and deserves a special place.
    Regards,
    Meenu

6. Cheeniya

Dear Meenu
    A bit ahead of schedule is permissible for big occasions! As kids we started celebrating Diwali a month ahead! Drying the crackers in the hot chennai Sun for a whole month used to be such thrilling experience. What about weddings in our families?
    Join the bandwagon!
    Sri

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Luckily, got to see this thread:)

Me too, an original German(!), am vary to greet our friend earlier than due. But like you Cheeniya, thought I 'd break rules, they are all man made anyways! Some should be bend-able!

I have very often heard women praising each other eloquently, rarely have I come across such gestures between two men. It feels good to note the camaraderie and bonding between the two of you. And all so open out there for everyone to share. This has been an experience. They say that every man has some femininity hidden in him. Thank God that you both are not hung up on norms and own up to this little elusive trait hidden in you?:)

Liked your elaboration on 'personality'. By acknowledging that of dear Varalotti, you have made your own very obvious here.

Like said earlier, good good, we are in great company, thanks to you both:)

L, Kamla

8. Cheeniya

Dear Kamla
    First things first! You say you would break rules saying 'they are all man made' Does it imply that you will never break rules made by women? :)
    About men praising each other. Yes you are right that they seldom do that but when they do that they mean every word of it.
    A little bit of feminism in men is said to be a very desirable touch! It should be like a subterranean river that cannot be seen by eyes but can be only felt by the greenery on the surface. Man's feminism must be deep within and can be felt only thro his acts of compassion and mercy. Lord Rama displays that feminic quality when He tells the battered Ravana, "indru poi naalai vaarai" (go today and come back tomorrow for the resumption of the battle)
    Personally, I strongly feel that this feminism in me is already endearing me to all of you in IL! :)
    Sridhar is a great guy. He deserves much more than my expressions of appreciation.
    And thanks Kamla for your keen reading of my threads and wonderful observations!
    Sri

9. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear sir ,
    It took more than 20 minutes for me to respond to ur thread after i finished reading it . That was partly because i am poor at english (!) and partly because i was dee...........ply moved by ur words about my dear husband ! : " Personality is to a man what fragrance is to a flower " - a powerful & lovely comparison ! Being a lover of nature , i enjoyed those lines very much ! I think my husband is blessed with a wonderful & most valuable gift this year on his .....th (!) birthday - an affectionate elder - brother , honourable Mr . Cheeniya Sir !

With high regards ,
    Indhu .

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  10. Cheeniya

Dear Indhu
    If you thought that my thread was a moving one, I find your response equally moving and very warm. Looking at you and sridhar, I am reminded of the good old Made for Each Other Contest conducted by Wills every year. I presume both of you never took part in that contest or you would have been winners year after year!
    If you think that your English is bad, I would like to put your assessment as an instance of utter humility.
    Have a great bash tomorrow and think of me too!
    Sri