1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Friend zillas!!!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by helpmeangel, Nov 6, 2012.

1. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Reading some of the posts reminds me of an incident which happened to us. I and DH stayed at our friend's place for a week and went to see few places with them. We did share all expenses with them. After few months, they got a project at our place and wanted to stay at our place for a week so that they can save on rent and also look at apartments for rent. Unfortunately ours was a 1 bed room apt and my DH was suffering from pneumonia and bronchitis and he was in bed, coughing the whole night with night chills too. I was too stressed out, looking after him, going to work, taking care of the house. So we did inform our friends to stay at a hotel for the reason that we do not want them to contract the disease. But they insisted they will be fine and they just barged into our house and stayed exactly for a week. Our friend could not drive, hence my DH had to drive him to his place of work every day at 8.00 AM with his pneumonia as that friend did not want to spend on cab. Also, they expected me to cook hot food every day for them and will show their face, if I said we are planning to eat out. I contracted bronchitis too as I was cramped in the bed room only since these people were there. His wife used to just stay in hall (bed) and watch TV doing nothing to help my DH. I used to come to home every day for lunch too, to make sure my DH had some food. After that week was done, thankfully they went to an apartment. But I heard from a mutual friend that his wife was telling them that we are not keeping our house clean and that it was all messy.

Later on, we did meet up a few times as we were in the same city. We did go out for weekend trips as a group too. His wife used to throw tantrums and not talk to any of us during the trip if she was angry with her husband. She will also not eat anything and keep sulking in the trip. Suddenly she will forget all that and will expect us to talk to her nicely, forgetting what ever's happened. Somehow, we completed that trip and swore never to go on long drives with them ever again!!

So Ladies, my question to you is this:

Have you had similar experience with Friend Zillas who try to hog all the attention of the group?

Have you had any experience with couples who are so selfish, that it is bad for their own good??

If you did any any, how did you tackle them? Was lessons taught to them or did you stay away from them?

2. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Yes I think suck kind of people always exists. It will get better Once we be firm and confront them (That's what I did when it was getting out of control)

sindmani likes this.
  3. helpmeangel

hi Veera,

That is what I did too. I confronted her when she started giving me unwanted advice like "you should ask your DH to quit smoking" and things personal like that. I told her that I know about my husband and that I know when he will quit etc. She got angry on me after that and stopped talking to me for a few days!!!

sindmani likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP,

So your sick-with-bronchitis husband drove the guy to work, came back home, and the wife is sitting in hall (bed) and watching TV? And you are at work...

Call me old-fashioned, but I would take chutti (leave) from work or work-from-home. :)

5. helpmeangel

hi Rihana,

Oh no, there isn't an aota of doubt for me in my then sick husband nor the lady as she is kind of his sister as per our religion. She may be all selfish and rude but not a husband snatcher. So that point is ruled out.

sindmani and Rihana like this.
  6. anjanaa211

anjanaa211 New IL'ite

i came accross quite a few friends like that from my college days to now in US after married.

In college there was one friend who is a big attention seeker. i use to give her left and right not worrying too much as I know we can never be friends.

I met a friend almost same kind of personality in US. we always use to meet as a couples and go for outings.

go for bowling and stuff, and if she gets the lowest score among all of us, we can imagine how the after effects will be, oh god, she makes a big scene and you can see her being upset,dull n everything for the rest of the day and her DH constantly telling or assuring her that she is the best.

It use to feel so awkward, same with pictionary or any other games we played.afterall its a GAME!!

so we slowly minimised our meetings with them as it was not fun anymore.

7. helpmeangel

Hi Anjanaa,

Thanks for sharing your experience. That was hilarious!! Getting all sulky cos of not winning a game.. :) these are the type of people who haven't yet grown up, though they are in a foreign country representing our nation!!

8. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

Friends?! I would rather be friendless! These suckers do not have any common sense nor any empathy. They are just increasing your stress. Banish them, if you ask me!

9. helpmeangel

fencesitter,

Oh, if only we could!! I would love to do that! but the thing is, my DH gets uneasy that I am not approachable and that I do not have any gal pals!! So, in order to please him, I got to suck up to the one or two female "friends" in my life! :(

10. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

I am sorry. Did you say they are your friends?

Sorry but friendship for me if not what you described in your thread? My definition is different. All the best with you "friends"

Looks like your friendship with them and their friendship with you is a convenience friendship. When you go to their place, you can stay with them etc. Same applies to them. When they come to your place, they will save on money and stay with them

I don't think this is friendship. This is Lodging and boarding services.

Other than staying and going out, what else have you or what else have they done?