1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Frequent fevers

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Vinu4me, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Dear All,

Vinu has been going through temperatures on and off. She had it first for two days and then a break of two days. It was followed by another two days of fever and three days of no fever. Now again, she is having a temperature. My ped says its because of the change of weather. It seems logical with all these rains here, but I am just so worried.

Please help me out here. I am so worried.

Regards,
    Poornima.

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Poornima- I dont beleive that "change of weather" could cause fever - I know just about every problem is attributed to the weather but I dont think so. Fever at this age usually means an infection of some sort; if it is high and continues I would either ask for further evaluation or get another opinion.

Vanathi.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hey, I gotta agree with Vanathi. Temp changes do not cause colds, but virus. But I also notice that DS was sick the first two years of his life, considerably more during this season. Universally, this is the flu season. So, I am guessing there is something about the weather that makes those little buggers survive better during rainy season.
    Intermittent fever would have my antennae up. Dont want to alarm you and of course I am only talking from my experience. Isn't intermittent fever a symptom of malaria! If I had anapholes mosquite around your house, I would head straight to the paed.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

vinu4me,

don't want to scare you up, but i second tikka in this. there has been viral fever doing the rounds, with different symptoms

i know two of my friends who were admitted with dengue too.

so if you find your lo having fever again, do take note of the temperatures, and make a chart and question your paed.

6. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Poornima,

My 3yr old DD is with fever, for the past 3days. Once in 6-7hrs, temp shoots up to 100.5 or101, i give calpol syrup, it subsides after 1 hr. She has cough and cold too. No running nose. No chills/vomiting/diarhea. My doc has asked me to wait for another day and take all tests on 5th day for malaria, typhoid, swine flu, etc...

You better note down the temp, frequency, any other co-issues like throat pain, body/joint pain, chills, cough, cold, diarrhea, vomiting, etc and check with ur doc.

Also watch her diet and cleanliness carefully... ie if her hands are clean before eating, etc
    I dono her age, if she plays with other kids, she cud catch them from others.
    Boil and give them warm water to drink, always.

Hope she gets better soon :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  7. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Dear All,

Thanks for your prompt responses. My DD is one year old. Also, I had a viral fever last week and she took the bug from me. Her temperatures are not too high.. Its on the 99 range only. But, she's also got a bad cold/cough accompanying it. I should have been a little more specific with my earlier post.

My ped said its the viral fever that is doing the rounds with the rains. Krithika, I do agree that there might be something in the weather that makes these thrive.

She has had no fever since last evening. Do you think I should check her for malaria and all the other things which you have all suggested. Her appetite is poor in the mornings but she is more or less ok with her lunch and dinner.

Also, I have to go on a business trip for a couple of days to another city. I will be taking her and my parents along. We will be staying at a relative's place. Any tips for the journey?

Regards,
    P

Please do let me know what you all think.

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hey, I read only in the other thread that you had a viral fever too. So it is probably just that. Last night was crazy, the LO slept at 12 and on my lap, so I meant to post here and say you're probably good. Malaria is going around where I live. Two of my neighbour's kids had it.
    Good luck on the business trip. I so admire how together the young, working moms in the group are.