French as Second Language

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Sanjaana, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Sanjaana

Sanjaana New IL'ite

Hi all,
    This is my first post here in Indusladies. Hoping that I get a good response:
    My sister's daughter is in 5th Standard and she is offered French as Second Language ( she is having Hindi as her second language now ) from 6th Standard onwards. She is in a dilemma as to change her language of study. Well my niece is above average and is good at academics.
    so want to weigh some pros and cons of taking up French.

Also my question here is:
    1. Is French a dying language?
    2. Will that in any way reduce her score in board exams. - Say is it true that she might score lesser in French ( being a tough language) than continuing in hindi.
    3. Will it involve spending too much of time concentrating in a language subject rather in her core subjects like maths , Science.
    All the ladies who have gone thru this pls give your views on this.
    Ladies who have lived in Europe, any suggestion from your end.
    Looking forward to the responses.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sanjaana,

Welcome to Indusladies! I have lived in Europe for long, I also have a diploma in French from Alliance Francaise. I do not think that French is a dying language. In many international organisations like the United Nations, knowing French is almost compulsory. Even in international business circles, French is an invaluable tool. Not to mention that knowing French is a major boost in social circles.

I cannot tell you anything about the merits of French vis a vis Hindi in scoring marks. I have studied both Hindi and French, I would assume French is a little more difficult than Hindi. French grammar is not difficult, but there are many rules.

Goodluck to your niece in all her studies!

3. Sanjaana

Sanjaana New IL'ite

Hello Vidya
    Thanks for your immediate response. Thanks for your wishes for my niece.

4. sudhak90

sudhak90 Senior IL'ite

hi sanjana,
    french would be a better option for ur niece in the long rum as it'd be helpful in a job/career in this interconnected world of today.

also for any extra coaching she can always enrol with alliance francaise, who provide courses at all levels.

my daughter did french as 2nd language till10th. now in std 11, she's not taking upa language, but she'd surely go for a course in alliance not to lose touch.
    hindi, with the hearsay, and tv, you will pick up easily.
    good luck to ur niece.

sudha

5. Cookie

Cookie New IL'ite

Hi Sanjaana,

My daughter has been teaching french in junior college and also to MCA students. She also tutors students in french for board exams. What I have noticed is that most students take up this language to score marks in their boards so that their percentage goes up.

If your neice has an apptitude towards languages I think she should go for it as she would be learning a foreign language which will be very useful to her in the global culture. If there is anything more you would like to know I can ask my daughter to mail you she will be most happy to help out.

Love'
    Cookie