Freelancing In It Projects.anyone Had Success ?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by ImHuman, Apr 16, 2020.

1. ImHuman

ImHuman Bronze IL'ite

Anyone has experience in freelancing in IT jobs.. like front end development or any entire projects?I have more than 5 years of experience in software development .. I am trying to get freelance projects...through upwork and few other sites.. but I literally got no response...for any kind of work... . How should we go about it...? Can anyone please help?

2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Upwork, is one such site

3. ImHuman

ImHuman Bronze IL'ite

Yes. Upwork is extremely competitive requiring extreme skill sets.. even for pennies there are more than 100 bids... And so are similar sites. Now I understand value of full time jobs. We get paid even when there is no work and even more , I am understanding Government jobs... Why people are so crazy about government jobs. I am surprised people get pension of 40,000 ,50000 per month.. for life time..

Vaikuntha and shravs3 like this.
  4. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

If you are in India, try for government job. Government job is the best. You have a lot of perks and many have pension- not all.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. ImHuman

ImHuman Bronze IL'ite

Hahaha. I am age barred now. I am 37 and an OC. No age relaxation. Limited options in the government sector. Must choose hard work now.
    I noticed one member @startinganew mentioned the importance of maintaining Github profile. I want to clarify a few doubts I have.. but I being New Ilite I do not have the privilege of personal messaging her. I want to understand if the source code, code snippets, or work done for a company, for an employer can we display on public display? That should be confidential isn't it? I want to understand more about what she was suggesting. I wish she sees this post.

Thyagarajan and Caughtinbetween like this.
  6. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

while we wait for @startinganew let me share what i learned.
    to my understanding when we share our code in public github or similar internal code repos of our companies ... we are expected to maintain a general version of the code with no client identifying data sets.
    what we did was once we are done with our work for the client , we would create a prototype with all identifying names and properties changed / removed /hidden and share this code snippet in our internal repos for showing our work . Some times it would be a working general snippet , other times it would be a very detailed bit with comments specifying all the requirements , assumptions and expected outcomes .
    Never would you display the code you worked on for your client on any public profile or even internally outside of that team without taking all the precautions . its a breach , got to be extremely cautious.
    Before we would wrap up a project we would create a working dummy snippet with dummy data in the same format with detailed input and outcomes expected.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Git will not fetch you any monetary work. Also it takes some time to have your GIT projects really noticeable. it is just a way to show your skills. if you are in india, you might as well keep pushing your projects to git and keep switching companies every 2 yrs chasing niche skills.

Thyagarajan likes this.