1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Fracture And Spinach

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by stayblessed, Apr 29, 2021.

1. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

My husband fractured his left wrist and the Dr has done the procedure. What foods are ideal to be given in this time. We are vegetarians. I thought of including spinach in the diet but I read in the Internet that spinach will prevent the absorption of calcium. Is this true? What else can be given and in what forms? Pls pour in your suggestions.

2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Vegetarians are usually vitamin D deficient. Get vitamin D3 from amazon and give him 4000 IU per day. Vitamin K is also good supplement. Both these also increase the immune strength.
    you thought of including ?! Aren't vegetarians always eating saag this and saag that ? In chemistry lab oxalic acid is used to precipitate calcium oxalate. Cooked spinach oxalic acid content is usually less. In India we are usually advised never ever to eat uncooked salads, because salad greens are grown in "questionable" hygiene. When cooking spinach, leaving the lid off, and stirring it now and then will preserve the green colour. Read the background information here: Oxalate (Oxalic Acid): Good or Bad?

Have him eat vitamin D3 as a food supplement everyday. And the usual milk, yoghurt etc..
    carry on... for young people if the fracture is not too serious, it will fuse back in 6 weeks. Follow doctor's advice about resting the limb, as well as exercising when advised.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    vidukarth and stayblessed like this.
  3. stayblessed

Thank you so much for the reply. Yeah we eat spinach once a week. I thought will increase the intake of it. That's when checked the Internet and got the info about the calcium absorption and oxalate. Thanks a lot for the link and suggestions. :blush::blush:

4. Hopikrishnan

This happens because the western cuisine has a lot of uncooked greens in the menu. And we read western information on the internet. Ancient cultures in the middle east, and southern Asia have been cooking greens in boiling water (deactivating bacteria)and making dishes using spices, and other vegetables for hundreds of years. Calcium-oxalate is an insoluble thing that forms kidney stones -- cultures that eat uncooked greens suffer more from this kidney stones than those who cook their greens.

stayblessed likes this.
  5. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Hey dear @stayblessed

Wishing your husband a speedy recovery. I am sure you will have lot to do now....
    One of my cousin has fractured her leg and she had included the below diet.
    She, as is my aunt prepared for her after doctor's advise.
    We are vegetarians too and hence the following diet and hope it helps.
    1. Lot of protein intake, so there was moong sprouts, kala chana, kabuli chana, toor dhal.... 2 pulses a day was served.
    Moong sprouts as a salad alongwith cucumber, carrot, bellpeppers, onion, tomato, boiled corn, salt and pepper.

2. Intake of vitamin d, which was provided by the supplements and sitting in the balcony for 20 to 30 mins..

3. Milk, chaas made with pudina, ginger and coriander leaf. Plain curd.

4. Apart from this aunt used to prepare different kind of rasams everyday, like ginger rasam, garlic rasam, neem flower rasam, pineapple rasam so on and so forth, for my cousin to drink in a glass.

5. Every day tender coconut and lemon juice was given.

Consult your doctor once and start with a healthy diet for your husband and remember to take care of yourself too....
    You need to be healthy too..
    Loads of love and hugs to you
    Nandu

Thyagarajan and stayblessed like this.
  6. Hopikrishnan

The best part of the post.... if any woman does all that you recommend, husbands will never heal, even if the X-ray shows otherwise.

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Very informative & holistic.
    Greens contains calcium. For better absorption of cl by body in higher age group, something else to be administered - is it mg?
    Thanks and Regards.

stayblessed likes this.
  8. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Haha, then god save them

Thyagarajan and stayblessed like this.
  9. stayblessed

Thank you so much nandini for your detailed reply. Will include these in the diet. Much appreciated:blush::blush:

Thyagarajan likes this.