1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Forgiveness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

I think you are writing about (forgiving) the slights we do to others and that others do to us in our day to day lives with the people that matter to us. And you are right, forgiving makes life easier for us as well as for others involved. More often than not, we let our pride/ego/hurt come in the way and things can spiral out of control and strangely mostly with people who matter to us. Every time I take a deep breath and let go, I feel not only better but lighter, making me wonder why I did not do that sooner. I am sure you agree (and might have said so) that just not forgiving but also setting boundaries (fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me) in our interactions keeping love as the foundation will help us in ways we do not know. Personally, trying to understand where the other person is coming from (which is mostly their own experiences) has helped me deal with this better - most relationships see that there is give and take and forgiveness happens in many unspoken ways and then like one of my friend reminds me "relatives are like nails, you keep cutting them and they keep growing back" - when life means having all these people in our lives, why not make it pleasant for ourselves and those involved? Like all things, this is also work in progress - some give, some take, some easy and some hard. Thank you for that reminder :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your comprehensive response. You articulated the need for forgiveness more elegantly than what I did in my original snippet. I meant both slights we do to others and that others do to us as well as major life-changing actions done by us to others and others to us. You are right about the lightness one enjoys especially after we no longer carry the burden of pain and suffering in our head when we use the heart to forgive ourselves or others. I completely agree that the boundaries may be revised as part of this exercise if not already set. It is not about accepting the words or actions as unharmful but recognizing them as harmful but deciding to let go of emotions associated with it that lingers for a long time and setting ourselves free. It is not even justifying harmful words and actions nor accepting more of it without pain in the future. While we take steps not to face a similar situation again through whatever steps we need to take and forgiving what had already happened.

In my view, forgiving people who are closer to us is difficult than the strangers as their words and actions matter the most to us. Forgiving is not shoving it down our throat forcibly but systematically realizing that something is bothering us for a long time and the only way to overcome that pain is to set ourselves free from those emotions.
    In my view, segregating the issue and the person is important as otherwise seeing the person itself will trigger the emotions associated with a particular issue. Forgiveness is considered as part of the right living when we apply love to our thoughts, words and actions.

Srama likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    Yes it would turn out to be somewhat easy and achieved with less effort if and only if one segregate issue and the person involved.
    Thanks and regards.

Viswamitra likes this.