1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Forgetting And Remembering

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Once I was threatened inside an ATM kiosk annexed to the bank branch:it was weekly holiday and the street was desolate around noon. It was the moment my card inserted but machine could not eject it out.

A person with helmet on darted in initially spoke kindly in an effeminate voice pretended to help me retrieve card and told to type out the pin. He (or she) sensed am hesitant. But then holding a shining stiletto near my adam’s apple, i was intimidated and that was the moment God put my mind in chaos.

Under duress, I depressed the numbers on the numeric-pad and after noting it, the person left the kiosk and me dazed. But the pin I typed was incorrect which I realised only later. Good I forgot my Pin.
    Moral: under threatening circumstances people tend to forget.
    The story is in link*
    * Chess With My Pin

HariLakhera and Viswamitra like this.
  2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Very true. For whatever reason we fail to see the brighter side.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. HariLakhera

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

I agree. Women are good at remembering, particularly, who did what, when, and why. Men are not good at it. The problem is, only unfavorable incidents are retained. They can even remember who among the lady guests wore what.
    My point, however, is in general. People tend to remember who hurt them more than who did good to them. This may be because humans are revengeful by nature and look forward to vendetta. It should be the opposite way. We should remember people who did good to us and try to pay them back if possible.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. HariLakhera

Life is too complex or we make it so. The easiest way to forget the bad and remember the good. But then, there are friends and relations around to help you not to forget. They will keep reminding what happened and when particularly bad ones.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Viswa,
    I think, our brain works in a peculiar way. Obviously, it is guided by our five senses. Of its own, maybe, it has no role. Once it has acted in a certain way, it keeps track of it for a long
    time. This is the one reason we remember what we read and learn.
    In a social context, it is very selective. In our life, we come in contact with many people in our walk of life, and only a few we remember either for the good or bad done by them, more of bad and less of good.
    The ideal thing should be to forget what should be forgotten and remember what is to be remembered. But since the choice is also ours, we forget to make the distiction.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  7. HariLakhera

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

To add to what people forget and remember is that if someone does 99 good things and one bad thing, unfortunately human nature is such that most of us will remember that one bad thing he or she did to us. That one bad thing will outshadow the 99 other good things the same person did.

On the same note, I have seen siblings who have been raised in the same home since childhood. However, it is very surprising to note that the childhood memories of one sibling may be very different from that of the other one. One sibling may have only negative memories of their childhood whereas the other has only the positive, uplifting, happy childhood memories. It is almost shocking to believe that both lived the same childhood. That way human memory is also unique. What one person's brain chooses to filter and remember is not the same that the other person chooses to filter and remember even if they have lived the same life.

9. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Well we all do agree that people remember bad and forget the good...

As an individual, we can easily make this effort to consciously remember the good and forget the bad.
    It is not difficult. It is choice we make. Around 10 years ago, I made this decision.

For instance, When friend A comes and tells me something that friend B said about me (behind my back) - I immediately remember all the good things friend B helped me about.

If it is a small thing - I dont even give it importance - I just tell A - oh, thats fine - B has been a very good friend till now, it is fine... thanx for informing!

If it is something big, I openly talk to friend B and clear the misconception (or if it is a genuine mistake, I apologise) - I also inform and thank friend A that she told me, so I was able to clear it up.
    I take care not to hurt either A or B and keep their secrets for them - so that their friendship or trust is not affected.

This helps me keep the peace, forget about the so-called treachery of friend B and there are no broken relationships.

If friend A comes and tells me something about friend C - just complaining in general with her own incidents - not related to me - then I just listen, let her talk and forget the story - I dont change my opinion of C.
    The next time friend A says something about C, I start on a clean slate - friend A would say "I told about her the previous time" - I say I forgot it because it doesnt relate to me. Why should I store bad things in my mind - I store only good things.. You wanted to vent about C, you vented, you felt lighter - thats what was required ! I dont need to change my feelings about C !

So most of my friends know I dont gossip, even though they share gossip, they know I will not respond. So, now people know I am straight forward and never lie and they come and clear their misconceptions directly without unnecessary gossip and hurt feelings.

I always maintain that 90% people are generally good and dont want to hurt others unnecessarily (my family is not so naive and constantly warn me) - so any bad incidents - I tend to forget and forgive immediately as just ignorance or selfishness and not a vicious desire to hurt others - there is no point keeping these things in mind.

Keep smiling
    HR

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. HariLakhera

Yes, we tend to remember the bad things.
    My elder brother, about two years elder, and I could narrate our childhood memories. We lived together, studied in the same class, and so on. But our extracurricular activities were different. He was more in sports and I in music and debates. We had a different set of friends also. But what happened between us two were the common stories and memories. We fought at times
    but we were always there to protect each other.

gamma50g likes this.