1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Forgetting And Remembering

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jun 18, 2023.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Forgetting and remembering.
    I think it is human nature to forget what to remember and remember what to forget. We forget the good times in life and remember the bad ones. We forget the good done to us but remember the bad behavior of others. We forget the bad things we did to others but remember the good things we did.

I have seen people quoting what bad was done to them years ago but forget what they ate last night at dinner.

This leads to never reconsiling with people, even family members.

A lot can be written on the subject.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It's very true sir!
    I remember my teacher producing a large white paper with a small black spot in the center. To his question on what we saw, everyone of us pointed out to the black spot triumphantly. He would point out that it was a pity that none of us saw the large white sheet of paper but noticed only the tiny black spot!

Rihana, HariLakhera and iyerviji like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Very true

HariLakhera likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Our brain has a built in software programming for its
    efficient working.it has a winnower constantlyevaluating
    editing and sorting various informations in hifi speed
    and erases many informations that may not be required
    at all.This continuous sieving process is known as
    'forgetting' by commom man.If this does not happen,we will
    be brooding over deaths and failures thathappened
    long back.
    we remember what we forget toforget.
    we forget what we forget to remember.
    jayasala 42

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Good one

HariLakhera, Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Dear @HariLakhera Sir

indeed . Text could be voluminous to read & comprehend in one go.

The axiom is what easily remembered by womenfolk is entirely firgotten by menfolk. Spouse remembers for eternity the particular comment I made long long ago ( good & bad) about her and her siblings or and parents. She remembers the colour of my attire on various occasions that occurred several decades ago but i don’t.

Men forget the birthday of self & spouse get chided or subject to silent treatment when he displays memory in respect of some other women!

I conclude matured women forget less and remember for eternity the good and bad as well.
    While shopping, Menfolk easily forget the items spouse desired in the kitchen for preparing elaborate or medium lunch. He would forget the quantity too.

When veg from sambar was less on his plate, he commented sambar is tad salty. She retorted that salt ( in quantity) in sambar is perfect but he forgot to fetch right quantity of veg that she told him.

Dhs of the world prefer their spouse forget certain unpleasant situation or event but spouse remembers and speaks about it often that gets more reinforced in her brain conscious and unconscious.

Memory has ramifications, one is short and the other long. There is chemical memory too. Uncanny remembrance thy name is woman! Child prodigies have memory of their previous birth(s).

I have seen aged ones forgets easily but those who constantly associate newer learning with things learnt already known to them are able to maintain good memory.

Poor memory helps enjoying when we are watching old movies. Poor memory for objects misplaced helps get thrill in discovering it from most unexpected places.

Yesterday Spouse needed to pay cash to a delivery man at the door. She opened her storewell took the needed cash. She paid the man and proceeded to watch some soap. Today i needed cash for buying extra milk. I demanded the keys for storewell and she could not trace it. A day has gone by and the key bunch still remains undiscovered. But when I misplace and look for a thing she is there to materialise it in no time of course with her banter.

Bulkiness helps good memory. Stout persons thinks a lot before taking a step ahead. See elephants supposed to have strong memory. Yet the elephant that kicked the Tamil poet Mahakavi Bharathiar to death realised later that she was wrong and cursing her memory the temple elephant died. It mistook Bharathiar for another man who previous day handed the elephant lime (calcium oxide) - சுண்ணாம்பு in Tamil - in a coconut shell.

God’s ways are different!! Womens ways too!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
    HariLakhera likes this.
  8. umaakumar

umaakumar Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Nice write up about forgetting and remembering. I have 4 siblings. There are some incidences which I recall, but my sister's have forgotten. They are some that they recall, but I have forgotten. The mind is a crazy thing.
    Bad things when it has impacted you greatly can never be forgotten. Same with the good things.
    People who have done good to you can never be forgotten, and we never stop cursing the people who have done harm to us
    Though this is a cycle, we all finally come to the age where all we want is peace and quite.
    It is at this stage, that we should forget and try to forgive the bad and smile at the good.
    Regards
    Uma

HariLakhera, joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

U hv hit the bull’s eye. Thumb’s up.

joylokhi likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

Forgetfulness is a gift that God has given us for a reason so that we don't remember all the past actions we had done and worry about the consequences. If every life were to remember all of his/her past actions, the life will never get started and worry only about the consequences we need to encounter. Even though forgetfulness helps us to have a positive outlook towards life, it also had the bad effect of us not knowing we are divine consciousness. What we call as consciousness in real life is our worldly life whereas true consciousness is minus all the maya that we encounter.

Forgetting and remembering within the forgetful state are all the same having only a peripheral impact in our mind. But the mind is an important tool and the forgetfulness is given to us as a gift only to reshape the mind and use it as a positive tool for our spiritual growth and development.

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.