1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

food to be taken during kidney failure-advice pls

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ridgemma, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Hi friends

My friend's mom is diagnoised with kidney failure. One of her's functions at 20% and other is 70% active. The doctor comforted her by saying that people can live with one kidney. He advised her not to drink more water.

The doctor advised everything depends on what you eat. She is now worried, what kind of food can she take to sustain the performance of her kidney. Member, pls give your experience/advice on this.

Luv

Ridge

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

ridgemma,

first of all ask your friend not to panic. regarding her mom,since one of the kidney is functioning at 70%. and assuming she does not have diabetes or heart conditions... she can lead a very normal life.

yes water consumption is limited. has the doctor precribed how much..because depending on persons it is 500ml, 750ml, 1ltr.
    Your whole consumption of liquids will have to be limited to that.

kidney patients need more proteins..
    if she has high bp, then salt should be restricted. and also potassium intake is restricted.
    Too few calories leads to the breakdown of muscle to provide energy .
    As kidney failure gets worse, people tend to eat less, and poor nutrition can become a major problem. Sometimes it is necessary to provide dietary supplements if the patient can't eat enough.

Again the diet depend on the BUN and Creatinine in her blood sample...that is the restriction on potassium,phospates...

If you have any doubts you can ask...

3. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Thanks shanvy for the prompt reply !!!

I showed this post to her. What kind of foods are devoid of pottassium(or less of it), and what kin of food can be taken (like selective roti, no rice, veg & fruits to be taken / avoided)

Thank you Bow

Lakshmi

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

ridgemma,

I could give you pointers as my MIL had renal failure, was on peritoneal dialysis.

bananas are rich source of pottasium..especially the green ones...
    But i have a friend whose mil is on naturopathy along with the allopathic treatment for the last 10 years...and is still active..so check out with a dietician get a chart and do accordingly.

will ask my doctor also if foods can help in strengthening the work...

5. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Thanks Shanvy for the timely reply. Her doc also adviced not to take bananas.. And, yes , a dietician will help us.That didn't struck. Thanks for the hint !!Bow

Luv

Ridge

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi ridgemma,

Simple things, go out of our head when we are tensed. ask your friend to relax and take it easy..things will definitely be fine.