1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Food:Taken for granted!

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by padmasowrirajan, Nov 2, 2007.

1. padmasowrirajan

padmasowrirajan Senior IL'ite

"WEIGHT LOSS IN 30 DAYS " "SIMPLE WEIGHT LOSS" "WEIGHT LOSS MADE EASY"

I happen to see these kind of ad's every ever, be it in site, notices, hoardings, and where-not. Eye-catchers for every women, aren't they?
    Its sadly true, that in the prevailing life style, we take fast foods, chats, pizza, and other junk foods, for which the list goes on and on. All until, we realise one day to our dismay, that the dress we bought a week before doesn't fit us any more. So happens every week.
    We take resolutions (not on first of every year, but almost every first hour of our days), to eat healthy food and no Junks, only to get tempted when some one next to us gulps the pizza.
    I am reminded of what my mother said, while feeding me when i was young.
    When she cooks those awful tasting gourds, i used to tell her, "Mom, you are out of your gourd", she will just smile and serve it anyway. I was never a clean-sweeper-of-plate type, Which also lead my mom to lecture me to no end.
    But, when as grew , and saw the life of people around me, living in streets, and deprived of even the basic amenities, like food, shelter and clothing, I realised my mother's words. Not that just because, if I dont eat junks, others are going to get food or not because if i dont go for richly attire, they are going to get clothings, but its just because, i dont want to take these for granted. When i eat unhealthy food, i am not only spending for my food, invariably I am gaining pounds, which signals me to get a new dress of next size and enroll myself for a weight reduction program. These extra bucks we spend can be avioded by eating right and eating healthy food. Mind you, I am not against going to gym or any aerobic class,but the purpose should be to keep fit, than to shed your extra pounds.
    Now, when i am running my own family, I daily repeat to myself what my mom said,
    Cook whatever is neccesary, healthy and no "leftovers".
    The "leftovers" are almost left over from my vocabulary.
    I am not the first, or going to be the last to say these, but i was reminded of this, when I keep seeing the ad's for weight reduction, in every possible site i visit.
    Lets not spend those hard-earned money to lose what we gained(kgs/lbs) by our ignorance or arrogance. We dont realise the value of money, until we lose it. Better not learn it the hard way, when we have the choice in our hands.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007

2. AnuradhaRaghavendran

AnuradhaRaghavendran New IL'ite

Hi Padma

I completely agree with you.Believe it or not I am really practising that at my home. Not for the whole family but for me and my child.Because I cannot control or correct the eating habits of my in-laws and husband.

I believe in preparing fresh and healthy food as I got fed up of so-called ready-to-eat and readymade food when we were in US.After coming back to India ,I have also made this a practice to give fruits to the kids or family when we visit them instead of buying expensive chocolates and all. In this way we can reduce the obesity problem among the kids also which is on the rise now.

Hope I have not deviated from the topic.

Anu

3. padmasowrirajan

padmasowrirajan Senior IL'ite

Definitely Not, Anu

Hi Anu
    Good to hear that you practice healthy food habits. I dont have children yet, but i have a loooooooooooong list of to-eat and not-to, for my children. If not your in-laws, make your husband realise the need for healthy food. I know how it is, the food habits, of these computer geeks. But insist upon lot of fresh vege's and fruits, cereals, sprouted seeds, and anythings thats doen't come from the packed food stuff.
    So Happy Eating !!!