1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Food products preferred in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Jithiks, Apr 7, 2009.

1. coollife

coollife New IL'ite

Hi All,

I would like to know where we can get the flax seeds. Also, in one of the threads, I noticed some one saying that the shelf life of the flax seeds powder is less than that of the seeds.

So, am basically intersted in knowing the shops where I can get the seeds and also the best brand. Unfortunately, we don't have Wholefoods/ Trader Joe near to us. So please suggest if we can get them in Walmart/ALDI etc.

Also, what is the process to grind the seeds? Do we need to dry roast or can we grind them as is?

Please suggest.

2. coollife

coollife New IL'ite

Re: Question on FlaxSeeds

Thanks for the pointer, Krithika. Posted the question there.

Moderators, please close this thread.

3. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Wow, this thread is awesome :thumbsup Good job kirthi.

I wanted to add few items, if already in the thread please ignore (thread is too long to read so just searched for these and couldn't locate)

Organic Applesauce for kids (4 pack for $1.99) - Trader's Joe
    Whole wheat wraps & large style whole wheat burrito (organic) - Trader's Joe
    Organic canned tomatoes - Trader Joes or S&W brand organic tomatoes from costco (they are very good for tomato thokku, rice or gravies)
    Organic canned garbanzo beans - Trader Joes

Medjool dates (with pit) - Costco (the best variety of dates)
    Vegetarian (infact vegan) spring rolls (frozen) - Costco - brand name is Ling Ling
    Hawaiian organic Raw honey - costco (it comes in a pack like pavel's curd for $9.99)

-Uma

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi,

You must have seen my reply to your previous thread/post.

You can surely get the flax seed power/seeds in Walmart. I am not sure of the brand since I buy them only from Trader Joe's.

As for grinding them, powder them as it is. It depends what you want to use them for. If you need to add it to cereals,batter,dough,salads etc., then why not go for pre-ground flax seed powder?

It is better to consume them in the powdered form than the whole seeds.

I buy flax seed powder regularly and store them in the refrigerator. That way, they stay fresh.

5. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Uma,

Thanks a lot! :)

Great to read the list of items you've included.

I've one doubt, you've mentioned organic burrito & wheat wraps from TJ..are these tortillas or already stuffed burritos?

Usually I buy the organic whole wheat tortillas/flour tortillas for making veggie wraps...so I was wondering do you get already made burritos in the freezer section? If yes, are they good?

And yes, the organic canned tomatoes/tomato sauce are really handy and too good. I do buy the TJ Garbanzo beans and olives too. The organic dry oregano, basil and dill are also excellent! :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  6. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Awesome thread! I found it so late :-(, but better late than never... I'm yet to read all the posts in this thread.

Can anyone recommend some good brands of Mango Juice? I used to get a brand called Langers from Costco, but its not available in NJ costcos. I prefer sweet juice over sour, so I'm doubtful about the mango juice available in the local grocers here.

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks! :)

Have you seen the Brazil Gourmet Mango Juice in Costco? These come in cartons. And it says no sugar added, but has the right amount of sweetness. I've tried it once and found it was reasonably good.

Also there used to be another brand of Mango Juice in Costco (forgot the name) and they usually bring it here during the Spring/Summer.

Have you tried Kern's mango juice..these are usually available in most of the American grocery stores.

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Krithi,

I just buy the wraps from TJs and stuff myself. They are really good burrito/taco wraps. Bought some other whole wheat one from safeway and costco didn't like it that much, so moved back to TJs.

-Uma

9. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

We get mango juice from costco. The brand name is not in my memory now, but they have them in their refrigerator section. Its a variety pack of 2 half gallon cartons mostly tropical fruits. The one we got was mango and guava. Try it out.

They also carry "Phillipines mango nectar" in cans. Each crate has about 24 cans. They go somewhere for $12 per crate. We bought for a trip and liked it a lot. This will be near the aisle where kerns and other canned drinks are.

-Uma

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  10. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Kirkland organic chocolate Milk - Costco (a box of 24 8oz milk cartons)
    Organic carrots 10lb - Costco ($4.79 can't just believe that its for organic I'm paying :))
    Cliff Z-bars (sorry again its organic) - 69cents per bar in Trader Joes (Cheaper than elsewhere). Good healthy snack for school going kids.

Its a nice treat for the little ones.

For people in the west, see if you have winco foods near your area. They have awesome supplies of odwalla bars, dried fruits, nuts and flour.

-Uma