Food Menu During Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by vinitha, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Re: Horse gram in pregancy

Hai,

I ate almost all vegetarian food including horsegram during my pregnancy - Nothing happened. I was wonderful throughout my pregnancy and delivered a healthy baby. So don't worry. Infact you should eat lots of lentils - it is good for your health and also helps in constipation during pregnancy. Do some search on the internet - you will see.

Amitha

2. chlatha80

chlatha80 New IL'ite

Does white oats good for pregenant ladies

Hi vandhana,

You said that oats are good for pregenant ladies, does white oats good for pregenant ladies? if not specify the flavour for the same.
    I have recently visited my doctor, she said that BP is high. it is arround of 80-150 continuously for 20days , finally she adviced to reduce the usage of salt.

Anything else do i need to take special care to reduce BP, now i am into 7th month middle.

Please advice me for better prospects

Thanks in advance
    Latha

3. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Re: Does white oats good for pregenant ladies

Hi Latha... Just wanted to tell you my experience with oats. Consuming oats with any flavor you prefer should be fine. Oats helps with milk secretion after delivery so you can continue eating it later too. It lowers cholesterol too. With regard to BP keep a close eye on hidden salt content too - like in store bought breads, cookies, etc. Try to reduce consumption of those foods too. Try purchasing a digital bp monitor to check it everyday. Monitor your bp regularly at similar conditions (time of day, before or after food, after no strenuous exercise, etc) after changing your diet. If you still don't see any change even after a week then you may want to ask your ob about testing for proteins in your urine and blood urea nitrogen to figure out what really is happening. But don't worry increase in blood pressure in the last trimester is common with increase in fluid volume and up to 150 is generally considered okay for pregnant women if there are no other symptoms (edema, headaches, etc).

Let's see whats Vandhana's perspective is...

Stay calm and rest well, everything will turn out okay.

-L.

4. cute teddy

cute teddy Bronze IL'ite

Keep that coffee away

Hi Please note..

Two cups of coffee could double risk of miscarriage

<!----> <!---->Moms-to-be, please note — it is time for you to stop drinking coffee, or at least, restrict your craving to only a cup of cappuccino a day. Otherwise, you might end up with a miscarriage.
    <!----> <!---->Researchers in the United States have carried out a study and found that drinking even two cups of coffee everyday during pregnancy could double the risk of losing a baby for expectant mothers.
    <!----> <!---->“Our study strengthens the association between caffeine and miscarriage risk because it removes speculation that the association's due to reduced caffeine intake by healthy pregnant women. The main message for pregnant women is that they should consider stopping caffeine consumption.
    <!----> <!---->“If they have to drink caffeine-containing beverages, they should reduce the amount to one cup a day at the most,” according to lead researcher De-Kun Li at Kaiser Permanente in Oakland.
    <!----> <!---->Li and his fellow researchers came to the conclusion after analysing 1,063 women in the San Francisco area early in their pregnancies. They questioned the participants about their beverage consumption and whether they were experiencing morning sickness. Those women who consumed 200 milligrammes of caffeine or more a day were about twice as likely to miscarry, they found. “That’s about the amount of caffeine in two fiveounce cups of coffee, five 12-ounce cans of soda or six fiveounce cups of tea,” Li said. According to Li, the findings are consistent with those of earlier studies which have found an increased risk of miscarriage from daily consumption of about 150 to 300 milligrammes of caffeine. “The relationship between caffeine intake and miscarriage’s controversial. The question has been whether this association is due to caffeine itself or something else. “We went one step further in determining whether it was the caffeine itself or it’s women changing their drinking pattern. My hope is our study will remove that uncertainty.

Prevention is better than cure... so pl take care to be moms:)

5. cute teddy

cute teddy Bronze IL'ite

Eating right when you're pregnant

Hi friends

Eating a healthy diet is one of the most important things any pregnant woman can do to enhance her own health as well as the health of her baby

<!----> <!---->Pregnancy introduces a host of physiological and emotional changes in a woman. Advice seems to pour in from all sources. Even perfect strangers have been known to put in their piece of advice when it comes to commenting on a pregnant woman's health.
    <!----> <!---->The biggest myth about pregnancy is that one needs to eat double of their normal intake of food. In reality, you are eating for one plus one very small being. Women only need to consume an extra 300 calories per day. Far from being a time for overindulgence, pregnancy is in fact a time to eat sensibly and healthily.
    <!----> <!---->Going organic is possibly the best thing you could do for your growing fetus. Pesticide residues have been found at levels harmful to health in more than a third of the products sold. Pesticides can retard a child's development and have also been linked to various gynecological disorders.

DO'S

Have plenty of fruits, vegetables. Add salads to all your meals.

Dry fruits like dates, figs, prunes, apricots and raisins in small amounts instead of white sugar products.

Add a small quantity of nuts and seeds – almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds.

Roots like sweet potatoes, yam, and potatoes with skin are delicious and equally nutritious. Steam cook them.

Have protein in the form of lentil (soaked overnight) sprouts, or cooked fish. Avoid red meat and occasionally, breast of the chicken.

Whole grains like bajra, wheat, jowar, nachni, maize, unpolished rice.

Minimum oil in your diet is advisable. A combination of mustard, olive and coconut.

It is very important that your blood sugar level should be under control and that you should monitor your blood glucose level. White sugar and white flour should be avoided.

Blood pressure levels tend to fluctuate and at times, oedema occurs, so avoid excess salt.

A woman is going through a lot of hormonal changes at this time, it is best to use natural salts like rock salt instead of table salt.

Constipation and piles is a problem for pregnant women. Add plenty of fruits and vegetables especially beets, carrots, whole grains (unpolished rice). Refined carbohydrate should be avoided and more roughage should be added to the diet.

Consume plenty of water. :thumbsup

6. Swathimano

Swathimano New IL'ite

diet during early weeks of pregnancy

hi,this is swathi

i'm pregnant with less than 6 weeks baby in my womb.
    i had an attack of juandies before 6 months and now it was normal,but i had a doubt that this would effect my baby?and also i feel very uncomfortable especially when i wokeup,i had vomit sensation too,can you suggest me the healthy diet which helps me to overcome these situations.

7. Suneetha712

Suneetha712 New IL'ite

Re: diet during early weeks of pregnancy

Hi Swathi,

I am pregnent with below 6 weeks :)

I do not think juandies that you had 6months back would affect your kid in any way. You can double check with doctor

Do not worry about vomit sensation. It is very common at this stage. If the sensation is too much, you can use some tablets.

Coming to diet part, Eat at regular intervels. Drink lot of water. I do not think any special diet is required at this early stage. My advice is consult your docutor regularly

8. dhanasathesh

dhanasathesh New IL'ite

Food to be prepared...

Hai Friends,

Right now I am in 36th week. My due date is December 9th. Due to some unavoidable reasons we cant bring anyone to here for my delivery. So I have to be ready by myself. Just I want to know about the dishes which can I made before the labour pain strike and can be stored for atleast one week.

I dont know about the food items which can I eat or not immediately after the delivery. So please help me to make some dishes before I goto labour. And also tell me other preparations I have to do for the delivery and after that too...

Thanks in advance....

Regards,
    Dhana Sathesh

9. Riya007

Riya007 Senior IL'ite

Re: Food to be prepared...

Hi,

You can cook any type of food and freeze. Try to cook a few different dishes when you have the time and freeze it. Can your hubby cook as well? If so, get him to help you out especially as you are in the final weeks and may be more exhausted.

All the best.

Love, Riya

10. scorpionbeauty

scorpionbeauty New IL'ite

High protein veg snacks

Hello,
    I am in my second month of pregnancy and the morning sickness and vomiting have just begun. I am hoping it wont stay long.:thumbsup

But my question here is about the ravenous hunger that I seem to be having these days. Every 2 hours, I feel the need to feed myself something. It is 5 in the morning here and I can't seem to sleep cos I am hungry again. RantI am a vegetarian and have heard that high protein snacks keep hunger at bay.

Could anyone let me know from our Indian perspective and from either home made food or snacks available in food stores, what would ideal high protein snacks consist of?

Has anyone bought peanut butter stuff from Indian food stores recently? Is it available?

Appreciate any help to curb this ravenous hunger :)