1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Food for gestational Daibetic Ladies

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by rds, Mar 18, 2010.

1. rds

rds New IL'ite

Hi
    My sister is pregnant , and she has got gestational daibatis, she cannot understand what to have and what not to have as her sugar levels are extremely increasing just for small cup of rice , do anyone of you have any suggestions for a proper diet with indian foods, which she can have everyday and any particular indian receipe or food which gets the sugar levels down..
    Please Advice ,
    She has lot of craving but unfortunately she is very scared to have any food , thinking of a sugar levels ,

Please Help...

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    convey congrats to ur sister on her pregnancy.
    pls,chk with some qualified doctor or nutrionialist for what food to avoid.
    basically,avoid all sugar products,no sugar in tea/coffee(no sweetners)
    less white starch food life rice,refined wheat,bread,cake,pizza

make multigrain flour which includes whole wheat,soya flour,millet flour,rbesan & seeds like sesame seeds,flexseeds.can make bread,pizzabase,chappati with this wheat

some sweet fruits like pineapple ,grapes should be avoided but take lots of recommended fruits like banana,apple,jamun etc

vegatables like sweet potato & potato should be avoided but very small amount can be taken once a week.eat lots of green veg

try eggs but avoid meat.eat lots of unsalted nuts on daily bases & keep small pkt of nuts & some fruit always in purse when going out even for 30 min to avoid unheathly outdoor food.

take lots of unsalted & unsweetened yoghurt & lassi.
    very important:get sugar level tested every mth & if possible every week in last mth of pregnancy.
    rgds
    pragati

3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Ask her to include oats in her menu.

Now-a-days there are lot many yummy recipes out of oats.

Check this link : http://www.indusladies.com/forums/a...categories-chitvish-recipes-8.html#post209791

Ask her to double the quantity of veggies or curries and minimize the main course quantity, whatever it is rice or wheat.

As pragati advised nuts are very good for health and good alternative for junk foods.Keep them in stock always.

Will update frequently.Convey my wishes to her:hiya

4. apelsin

apelsin New IL'ite

Hi,
    I had the same problem during my pregnancy. I kept my sugar level in control with basen( gram flour) vegetable dosa. I ate two dosas for lunch and two for dinner accompanied with some subji and dhal. I call this my miracle food. My sugar level was in total control and i did not take any medicine. My doctor (I was in Sweden at that time ) was happy and surprised. I delivered a healthy beautiful baby boy.

This basen dosa is very simple to prepare.
    Add 2 cups of basen to a small piece of finely shreded cabbage, 1 onion finely chopped, 1 green chili, 1inch piece of ginger, salt and miix well. Add water little by little and bring to dosa consistancy. Use very little oil and make dosas. She can check her sugar one and a half hour after eating and check how it suits her. It had really helped some of my friends and I hope it really helps your sister.

I had oatmeal for breakfast daily.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I too used to have GD and it was under control with diet alone and exercise(walking for about 30 minutes a day).
    Your sister can have these which helped me a lot:
    Breakfast/Dinner:
    1. Low-carb bread(if she is in the U.S,she can find these easily in any grocery store).Two slices with pudina chutney(recipe is there in 'Ask Chitvish' section),tomato slices and cucumber-basically any vegetables with bread as sandwich.Or bread with Peanut butter,or coriander chutney etc.Limit bread to just two slices.Learn to read food labels and calculate the carb intake.
    2. 1 cup of rava upma,or two dosas or two idlis with sambar
    3. Chappathis (2) with lots of side dish like dal,veg curry,especially rajma.
    4. Pesarattu.

Lunch:
    Limit rice to one cup and increase the veggies,salads etc.
    Even vegetable rice is a good option since rice will anyway be less here.

Snacks:
    About 10 crackers with 1/2 cup milk/tea/coffee.
    Sundal
    Cereal bar(low carb variety)
    1/2 banana or any such fruit.

Have all three meals and two snacks a day.
    Night -after dinner,give two hour gap,take sugar count and then at bedtime ,have 1/2 cup of milk with a handful of nuts/orange/a little grapes just to lower sugar during the night.This will balance your fasting sugar in the morning.
    Milk also has carbs,even if it is skimmed milk,so limit it to 1/2 cup or even lower along with tea or coffee.

Your sister should read food labels and calculate the carbs for each type of food.Accordingly she will be able to modify her diet .Don't worry,it is not tough and she will not have to starve.