1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

food for baby who gets constipated easily

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, Mar 18, 2010.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

mommies, once again need suggestions....

i have started to realise that DD is one of those who gets constipated easily. its funny though that once in a while even with EBF she has had issues passing motions, which is when i had given her little warm water.

we started purees with her nearing 5 months, and went really slow, but heck i eventually realised we ended up giving her all "binding" foods...
    she did well with applesauce but poop went missing with bananas .. we went back to applesauce . only recently i introduced few tsp of homemade rice cereal, and she went without pooping for 4 days, ended up putting her on prune juice for a couple of days... she pooped but was straining a lot. it wasnt pleasant to see that after all.poor her :(

i have been trying to hunt stage 1 fruits/veggies and couldnt find fresh pears/peaches/plums.......gave her sweet potato, she is not too bad with it, but i need further recommendations to feed her.
    for now i hv stocked gerber baby prunes, pears,plums, squash..... but was wanting to get options which can be freshly prepared.

what else can i give her in her coming months....every next step dreads me as if she would be constipated again :(

2. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

the other culprit can be the formula, which is also new in Z's diet. Just wondering if you need to look at that.

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

no tikka, she isnt on formula at the moment... so that is ruled out :(

himani.... as i said plums peaches, avocados... arent avail all that easily here... rather i havent seen!
    the readily available fruits i tried made a big mess...i am lost!

5. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Hi poonam.
    i had the same problem with my DD..

Finally with the advice of pead i did this.

soak raisins 2-3 overnight in luke warm water.
    give the baby, this water in the morning..
    this really works!!:thumbsup

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

aparna am going to try this!....i had heard about raisin water, but doubted whether it really worked

thnx!

7. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Poonam, yesss raisin water worked for DD too. We used to give raisin water daily, from her 5.5months onwards :) For DS, i give it whenever i remember, but he doesnt get constipated, so far so good on solids :)

8. pashni

pashni IL Hall of Fame

yes raisins are good for adults also.we adults can eat two,three raisins a day to avoid constipation.and infants can be given the water.it is not going to do any harm.it will sure ease ur daughter's constipation.i give my kids(7 and 4 yrs old) 2, 3 daily before they go to bed.and morning 1st thing they do is finish their work:)

9. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Poo, yes raisin water works. You can also try freshly pureed fruits and veggies after steaming them. Have you tried carrot, beetroot, apple, papaya? Apple might lead to constipation but the others wont.

10. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Poonam, for V apples and bananas were constipating. Fruits and veggies that helped were pears, green peas, spinach, green beans. Also initially instead of rice+dal+veggie khichdi I did oatmeal+dal+veggie.

Now he is fine with most things except apples.