1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Food for 1 month old

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by roopanair123, Feb 1, 2010.

1. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hi ladies,

my LO has high level of hunger..accordingly on suggestion of inlaws we have started giving kora podi (in malayalam) or ragi powder mixed with milk and sugar n reduced to thick consistency similar to cerelac from 28th day onwards at 5.00 pm everyday to my LO in addition to breast feeding or formula milk without consulting baby's pediatrician.

Lately LO cries at night and it is quite difficult to calm him down. Could it be becoz of indigestion..however his bowels movements are fine and he passes motion once every day..

Also lot of conflicting opinions regarding this feed as current generation and doctors say such feeds should be started from 3 months onwards but elders and inlaws constantly insisting on continuing such feed despite doctors saying no and that there is no harm in feeding kora podi to babies with such high level of hunger..seems it was done earlier for their children n everywhere..

pls advise if anyone facing such situation and kindly advise regarding this matter..

Thanks..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Roopa, the general recommendation these days is that until 6 months, infants should be only on breastmilk or formula (or a combination of both). Some babies may exhibit signs of solids readiness a little early, say 5 months, or 5.5 months. However 1 month is simply too early. I would strongly suggest to just breastfeed and continue formula supplementation if required.

3. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hi,

thanks very much for instant reply...hope we are able to convince elders not to follow such practices...:thumbsup

4. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

hi roopa,

when my nephew was a newborn, he was a big eater. He was on breastmilk for the first two weeks, and then he would wail all day. His ped. recommended supplementing with formula, and gradually increasing it if he was still hungry.

there were talks about giving the baby ragi and stuff, but their doc said no.. please talk to your ped, they might have other suggestions

5. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Please please DO not give all these.Just stick with BM or FM.Crying means it is is not always due to hunger.Try to figure out the real cause.

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Roopa,that is a tradition followed in Keralite households.Solids are started from 28th day.For my nephew too,we started solids on 28th day.It could lead to constipation however so do be careful.For my eldest,we started solids at 2 1/2 mnths.

The sensible thing would be to substitute with formula if the baby seems too hungry then move on to solids.

7. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hi friends,

thanks to all..truly said it is a tradition in kerala household to give this feed..today we have not given him this feed..hope our baby cooperates with his mamma and papa and behaves like a nice kid so that we can wait till we meet his doctor..:rotfl

8. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

Roopa,
    personally i feel 1 month is too early to give cora..my MIL was also saying that I can start giving raagi from 56th day and all..she was used to give it to my SIL's daughter from 56th day..when she keep on saying it, i gave him just one day and he liked it..then she started making it almost everyday:bowdown..i gave it for a week..i was very uncomfortable with that becoz DS was having indigestion problems even when i increased the fomula milk..she also said he is very hungry and all..then i discussed with his paed infront of her and managed to stop it until 4 months..even without raagi, he was gaining weight properly..later one day while talking my MIL was saying, even older days, babies were fed only breast milk until 6 months if the mother had enough supply:rotfl..i think in previous days, when BM is not enough kids were fed with cowmilk..once they get used to the cow milk, raagi also would digest easily..ofcousre, they never had formula at that time..now we have formula milk which we can use if the breast milk is not enough.. so pls hold on the raagi until your little one gets digestive system completely matured..take care..

9. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Ys; Roopa; After 28th day we introduce; kora podi and then ragi kurukku. But I didn't do it. She was exclusively bf. SAy your parents that your ped insisted it, let all the blames be on your ped. Poor soul:).
    -Nitha