1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Following Untouchability? Here I am....Ancient Experiences in Modern Times

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by drnamshara, Sep 10, 2014.

1. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

god 2014,

that was my biggest phobia at that time . you see i was still immature about all the other troubles you can face in il house.:-(

1 person likes this.
  2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP, I feel like insulted if they make me to rub taps, MIL giving bath , half bath in one bath room and half bath in another bathroom etc on the name of periods. If MIL is not there then who will give food and who will give bath to you? you chose the correct title for your post.

Hi Ladies, May be in olden days they didn't have sanitary napkins and don't want to spoil mattresses, bed sheets etc for overnight any leak. As in general most of us Indians were poor those days (country it self was very poor) and dont want spoil any item, so gave separate items to use on period days. Now not necessary I feel.

My strory: First year of my marraige, in laws camet o our place, we were planning to go out, for one day. I took bath and threw napkin in plastic cover and tied and kept outside, where trash will be kept.

After some time my MIL said she wanted to throw trash, so FIL opened the cover but it was this.

I didn't say anything. Why should they open tied trash.

1 person likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Stillwaters...you may have been scared ...but you acted really brave and wisely.Wish more of us had the guts to sort out issues before marriage.

You deserve a medal...:thumbsup

3 people like this.
  4. drnamshara

drnamshara Gold IL'ite

Its called Pre-mature Menopause :) Its a complicated gynaecological issue and needs hormone replacement therapy etc etc

My SIL is in her 8th month nursing and each time I ask if her chums have returned she asserts that she hasnt got them yet....

Tell me that SIL is also doing the convenient lying!! :p :p Smart gal then!

MIL once told me that her sis did not get her chums for 1-1.5yrs after delivery!!

And as a doc I am supposed to believe them all????
    :queen

3 people like this.
  5. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

Though not this much extreme, my MIL does follow a few. She will not allow you to broom or sweep the house or enter the kitchen for first 3 days. First thing in the morning after you get up, you have to go straight and take a bath. Only then you should move anywhere else. Once initial 3 days are over, u need to wash your bed sheet, pillow covers and any other cloth you have touched or used in the course. I just visit her once a year so I never really bothered abt all this and continued to do things as she wanted. But what hit me really hard is this time it was my husbands b'day and I had not completed day 3 and she didnt allow me to cook anything nor serve him food.. I felt so badddd...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  6. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

:yes::exactly:... :Bow:We must get things clarified clearly to avoid unnecessary troubles in future..

1 person likes this.
  7. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I didnt get my chums till I fed my baby - almost 1 year !!!

Anyway, the story you recounted happens in almost every one of my cousins homes :) and to an extent at my sister's inlaws, but she stays separately :) - but I still enjoyed every word of your post :)

My FIL told my elder co-sis when BIL got married - just have bath and cook - that was even while my MIL was alive - MIL used to have a separate kitchen for all her orthodox stuff and never interfered with my co-sis !!
    That was cool, I think !!!

My mom's house and mine, we dont pray, dont touch the bureau (silver items and silk sarees kept ), dont touch pickes etc
    My mom doesnt prefer to eat food cooked by me - but thats nowadays - she cooks on her own if she's visiting - when we were young, she used to cook na!!!

My DH doesnt even KNOW when I'm having my chums unless I tell him - if I have to take something from the pooja area :)

I just wash all the bedsheets in the house and have a head bath !! Thats it !

On a funny note - the reason we have chums is because Indra Deva distributed the impurity of his brahmahatya paapam to earth, water, trees and women - and in exchange we are supposed to have the dubious greater sexual pleasure than men !!!

Read the complete story here in 2 posts - Dadhichi and my son's questions !

3 people like this.
  8. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

I am not sure how much this would be feasible. but stay away from that home for those 3 + 1 + 1(count FIL) days outside your home. May be in a hostel or somewhere else.

Sometimes, there are stupid solutions to such stupid tortures. You can be frank with them and say, I do not want you trouble you guys and hence moving out for these 5 days.

It is just that you find a hostel for yourself, when your periods start during office hours, go to that hostel that day itself, call them up from there and return only after five days.

If your periods start while you are at home or during midnight, don't even bother to tell them. Use your napkins carefully, without them getting any doubt. Once you reach office, tell them that monthly cycle has begun and go to the hostel room. There are hostels where single occupancy would be available or even two. Hostels are not that comfortable but I bet it would really be, in your case.

4 people like this.
  9. JigsSM

JigsSM Silver IL'ite

LOL... couldn't stop laughing at this :)

1 person likes this.
  10. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

btw, trying to change someone's opinion about these menstrual cycles is really a wild goose chase. How can one possibly change such superstitions, unless we have Rajnikanth come to our rescue?? I really can't think of any. May be some NGOs or some women welfare departments who strive to abolish such superstitions in the country?

guess what? in villages, there are a few road shows held by such NGOs... where a nice drama is played to the villagers, spoken in the language those naive people can understand...

may be someone should organize such show to your DH, exclusively.

3 people like this.