1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Flying Emirates Airlines

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by smart_soul, Jan 25, 2010.

1. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Ladies,
    I'm taking emirates airlines with my 18 months old from SFO to Chennai this time (ofcourse a local carrier to SFO). It's a 15 hr non-stop to Dubai and 1.5 hrs break there and a 4 hr flight to Chennai. Can you guys tell me how the service is and is it kid friendly? And I have only 1.5 hr in Dubai. Is it too short. I'm going to miss shopping at Dubai airport due to such small transit break. In any case, is that enough time to change terminal and clear security etc?

Your inputs please..

Thanks.

2. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

I have travelled in Emirates flight. The service is very good. Thats what I felt. I don't know about the kid part though. Its a little tiring because of the long duration of the flight.

About the transit time, I think you might just make it. Remember, the dubai airport is a very huge one. Requires a lot of walking ( fast). In my experience, I had a 2.5 hours layover. I was waiting at a gate first and they changed the gate all of a sudden when I just went to make a call to home. I had to literally run to get to the boarding gate.

Aswini

3. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

I flew Emirates few months back to US with my then 5 month old DD if talking on kids perspective the service on board is very good. I had a different requirement I was travelling alone n needed assistance on ground with luggage to which they did not help.

Regarding Dubai Airport its very big so lot of walking as already mentioned. Have a safe trip.

4. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

S-s; the service in emrites is very good. But the bassinet they provide will be too small for 18 month. When I travelled back from India with my 14 month old; I couldn't fit her into it and my hands were getting numb by holding her. So; I asked for a couple of extrablankets and made her sleep in the floor; ignoring those stares from the "civilised" people:) . The service is very good and don't be ashamed to ask help.
    They give baby lotions; bib; baby wipes; food (a gerber equivalant; choices was banana and potato) etc..Diaper changing station is spacious. All in all it was very comfortable.
    And believe me 1.5 hours will be just right to run across the sprwaling dubai terminal. So don't get tempted by all those gold jewellery dazzling inside stores:)
    Safe trip
    -Nitha

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Nitha, Himani and Aswini for your feedbacks.

I'm going to be travelling alone with the kid. My nervousness of travelling alone handling her is slightly shooting up as my travel date is coming closer. DD is quite active and never sits in a place for more than 3 minutes. What to do to keep her occupied and reduce her boredm? And how will I even use the restroom. All these questions are coming up as the 'd' day is nearing.

Yes. As Nitha says, I just have to run to the next terminal ignoring all the dazzling gold :-(

By the way, Nitha, since you travelled alone with a toddler, how did you manage to carry the carry-on luggage/diaper bag/stroller etc., Any pointers?

6. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Since I've been there and done that, I would suggest you buy a good sturdy backpack instead of the usual diaper bag. Using the backpack will allow you to have both hands free. If you're not too fashion consious also invest in a fanny pack that can go around your waist. This can hold your passports, tickets and all necessary documents.

I would also suggest you bring along some "treats" to hand out to your dd every now and then. small packages of biscuits or cherios or little picture books, coloring books and crayons.....all would be great. Try to bring those individually packaged treats. she'll have fun with the wrapper also. Starting now, take a couple of small toys that she has so she will have time to forget about them. when on the plane bring them out (one by one) and she will think that these are new toys and will keep herself occupied for a while.

Eventhough children under 2 do not require a seat, I would suggest you pay the extra $$ and purchase a seat for her own. This will allow you to eat your meals without having to hold her and when she sleeps you can lift the arm rest and let her stretch out.

Bring her stroller also and have it checked when you enter the plane. The FA will be able to help you with that once you land. Also bring lots of wet wipes. My kids are 12 and 9 and I still use them.

Remain calm as kids pick up on your mood and react to that. Make she is either drinking from a bottle or nursing when landing and taking off -this will reduce the pressure in her ears. Good luck :)

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

S-S
    Manaswani pointed out most of the ideas.
    I carried my hand bag and big mudd bag which I could put across the body. Backpack is aso a good idea as it allows more freedom of movement.
    Keeping them engaged; ahem. Well; I am amazed at myselves that I didn't jump out of the windows:). On serious note; you can carry her fav books; toys; flash cards. If your LO watches cartoons; then you are lucky as they have good collection.Keep her distracted during the takeoff time.
    To use the restrooms, do take your baby to front where the airhostess will be chatting with each other:) and ask them to hold your kid till you use restroom. Go after they are done with serving food. Till then they will be too busy. If you are lucky to have a good neighbour; ask them to take care. Never hesitate to ask help. If your kid is cranky at the time food is served; ask the hostess to keep it aside for you and that you will have it after you put your kid to sleep. Never go hungry; nothing more terrible as a grumpling stomach and active toddler.
    Hope it helps; and don't worry it just matter of one day.
    -Nitha