Flying Alone With Kids

Discussion in 'Travel' started by user100, Jun 7, 2018.

1. user100

user100 New IL'ite

Hi,

I need to fly for 22 hours with 4 year old hyper boy and 3 month infant.I am very scared thinking of this, it’s like merely impossible. My son is very very.... hyper kid.

I am asking if my father can accompany me . If not this, is there help by airline services for such passengers. I am more worried about the time in the airport than in the flight.

Did any of you travel alone? How did you manage?

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Has your doctor given you all-clear signal for you to fly with a 3 month old? The air pressure is going to cause issues.

When I travelled, I did it at 8 months and kept feeding him during takeoff and landing.

For your 3 year old boy, is there anything that can help him sit in one place? For me, it’s a toy or a tablet. Maybe having a stroller that will fit both your son and the baby will help you in the airport.

sindmani and shravs3 like this.
  3. NeerjaC

NeerjaC Silver IL'ite

22 hours is a very long flight. I've been on flights with my children when they were 3 and a half and 1 and a half years old. But it was an 8 hour direct flight. I deliberately booked an overnight flight since it would be their bedtime around 7 pm so that they could sleep on the flight.
    For the airport, I packed everything for the kids in a backpack so that my hands would be free, the stroller helped as well. They were strapped in all the way until we got to our departure gate, after that I allowed them to run around so that they would be tired enough and hopefully go to sleep once we got on the plane, plus, they wouldn't be able to move around as much once they got on the plane so that helped too.
    I bought toys specifically for the flight so that I could keep them distracted. I didn't spend too much, just simple things from the dollar tree so even if the kids lost them on the plane, it wasn't a big deal. And I didn't hand them all out at once. I took out a new toy every hour or so that they wouldn't get bored with everything all at once.
    Also, I packed a ton of snacks and most important of all, I took an iPad with me. My kids are not allowed gadgets at home so this was a definite treat for them and kept them busy for the majority of the flight. Just put some movies and games on them and let them know that it's only for when they are on the flight.
    I know it'll be tough and tiring but with a little bit of planning, you'll be fine. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Giri12 likes this.
  4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

You can definitely get help by asking for assistant help during booking. Make sure you get a bassinet seat so baby can sleep without disturbance. For 4 year old take use tv/laptop/ipad . Buy his fav movies through itunes. Get new toys or coloring kid . At worst case you can use benadryl after take off so he can sleep.I'm not recommending medication but I know it is something I carried with me all the time. You never know how kids behave. Please also check with your doctor and do you use it once beforehand to rule out any allergy.

5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I would highly recommend an infant carrier, like an Ergo Baby carrier so that you have your hands free. Can't emphasize that enough!!

Srama likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Looks like your challenge is going to be the toddler than the baby. I agree with @peartree , I have always traveled hands free and have found it more useful than a stroller. Baby in the carrier (he/she will sleep through most of the time), toddler by one hand and a small carry on (mine was usually just the diaper bag) with essentials for the baby and the toddler. I hope you get a break when you change flights in between to stretch and walk around. As @mangaii suggests, request for a bassinet seat.

It will be alright. Many of us have done this and many continue to do it. You are not alone. Don't worry - in times of need, people always come through either fellow passengers or the staff.