1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fluctuating BM Supply

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sumanr, Mar 22, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

You would have read my thread on undersupply some weeks back. I am really confused now.
    2 days back, I could not pump enough BM to mix in the mashed bananas (< 1oz) and today morning, I pumped 5 oz in <10 min !!

1. Why is this fluctuation?
    2. Also, is nursing different from pumping? Even when I am not able to pump, LO seems to be happy when she latches on and nurses. How come?

thanks

2. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Ramya, the same is happening with me as well.. Nowadays my supply is so fluctuating.. and it is becoming very difficult for me to manage as she is refusing to take sweet potato mash which she usually has happilly.. I pumped almost four times to get 3 oz...

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

The one thing I can think of is that as both ofyou are bfing and pumping, your supply may be dependent on how your LO fed that day. A couple of days ago, it could have been really hot for the little one and she could have latched on more often for thirst. Also depends on the time you pump. I could get around 3 oz in the morning, but only around .25 oz to 1 oz in the noon/afternoon.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. Dilchahtahai

Dilchahtahai Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    Having BFed DS for 18 months (pumping and nursing), I saw this at least 1 or 2 times in a month: Supply can go down if you are stressed or tired, if you have not had your supply of fluids, if you have not eaten well or if you are about to get your periods..
    So, any of this can reduce the supply. Remember to drink at least 1-2 ltr water every day. Eat before you pump ( cereals or whole grain bread works wonders , almonds are good as well), get your sleep, reduce stress (try meditation) and lastly, if you have got your periods or are about to get them, nothing you can do. Just try to nurse more or pump more .. that may get you enough milk to support the baby for a day or two..
    Hope this helps..

5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya, for your second Q, Yesss nursing is different from pumping in many ways. We letdown automatically for the baby, but not all the time for the pump :D In addition to all the reasons given by tikka and delsmommy, i feel letdown is also a reason. I have experienced the same, say am having a good day, no stress, am eating/hydrating well, with the same pre-conditions, i dont letdown for the pump that 'easily' all day. That makes the difference, thats why LOs are happy with the supply when they latch on, but we mommas worry that we didnt get milk when pumped and doubt that we are into undersupply :))))

6. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Ramya,
    I breastfed my LO until 5 months and have been exclusively pumping ever since.
    Regarding your first question
    1: I think it depends at what time of the day you pump. Normally first pumping session in the morning is usually the best. Because your body and mind are rested. So your body produces more. But as day goes by the supply will go down.
    For me personally, the first pumping session is the best and the next best is the last pumping session right before bed. During the day even if I pump I get very little milk.

2: Breastfeeding directly is more efficient than pumping. I agree with Pon on this. You can letdown easily when breastfeeding directly but may not letdown easily with a pump..LO's can extract more milk if they are breastfed directly.

So if you pump and get less milk it does not mean that you have an undersupply. You have an undersupply only if LO is still hungry and not satisfied after breastfeeding.
    Hope this helps!