Flowers and Angels at Republic day flower show

Discussion in 'Bangalore' started by vidyasarada, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends !

I had planned to post the following in the Religious column, in due course. Now that the topic has come up here, I think it is appropriate to post in this thread. This is strictly depending upon the availability of the flowers in India, specially the South. I use this as a guide for my daily offering to Mother.

அரவிந்த அன்னைக்கு சமர்ப்பணம்:

செயலுக்குரிய புஷ்பங்கள்:
    அல்லி, நாகலிங்கப்பூ, பூவரசம்பூ, வாடாமல்லி, கொய்யாப்பூ, பூசணிப்பூ, சாமந்திப்பூ

உணர்ச்சிக்குரியவை:
    கொடிரோஸ், மயிற்கொன்றை, குரோட்டன்ஸ், அரளி, பெட்டூனியா

அறிவுக்குறியவை:
    பாக்குமரப்பூ, மனோரஞ்சிதம், நந்தியாவட்டை, சூரியகாந்தி, மாம்பூ, மகிழம்பூ, செம்பருத்தி

ஆத்மாவுக்குரியது:
    பவழமல்லி, வெண்தாமரை, செந்தாமரை, தூங்குமூஞ்சிமரப்பூ, காகிதப்பூ (போகன்வில்லா), வேப்பம்பூ

மற்ற விசேஷமான பூக்கள்;
    எருக்கம்பூ, பன்னீர்ப்பூ, விருட்சிப்பூ, தாடிமீகுசுமம் (மாதுளம்பூ போலிருக்கும்)

I have a long list which includes mango, thennampoo, flowers of bittergourd, brinjal, bottlegourd, thazampoo, marukozunthu, dividivi (the plant for edge),
    cactus etc for various purposes.
    The list is exhaustive. There is no point in my posting it, unless anybody is interested.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    That was very explanatory.....but have some doubts. How does one offer these flowers.....and what do these sub headings, suggest? Of course you can post this seperately on ur culture thread also....i can wait.

3. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Dhanyosmi !

Dear All-who-have-posted-in-this-thread,

Thank you, friends, for your gracious responses.
    I merely supplied the thread ( Naar), each of you brought in a pile of wonderful flowers and made a lovely Kadhambam !
    We have to attribute it to the cosmic attraction of Flowers and the ethereal magnetism of The Mother.

After reading the little pocket book, I searched through the Internet and got fairly exhaustive info. about the miraculous life of Mairra Alfassa and her transformation into the Universal Mother.

By a strange co-incidence, once I started taking an interest in this subject, I have been encountering bits and pieces of the same at the oddest of places. For instance, when I was going to the bank the other day, I passed a shopwindow displaying a table calender - with the picture of The Mother and Sri Aurobindo !
    Then, shopping with a niece, I chanced upon a little store tucked away in a recess off MG Road which was dedicated to Auroville Products. The shop lady had a personal copy of the Book on Flowers. I immediately placed an order for a copy for myself. To top it all, my neighbour called yesterday to say she is leaving for pondi ( she visits her daughter at Jipmer often and informs me when leaving) but uncharacteristically asked if I needed anything from the Ashram !

The Universe does conspire to fulfill our wishes !

VS

4. vidyasarada

Re: Flowers and Angels

V24 sayang !
    Aduh ! What an avalanche of posts !
    Enjoyed your rambling and ambling across countries in the backdrop of flowers. A floral travelogue.
    The sorrow of my life is that though I have visited the Netherlands thrice, I have never had the chance to take in the flower auction, even once. The Tulips that I did get to see in the dutch markets were all so packaged and beribboned that they looked plasticky and unreal. But I experienced the Alsmeer effect once in a village between Bangalore and Ananthpur. Five acres of sunflowers in full bloom, dazzling under a bright, spotlessly blue , noon sky. It was 3-D Van Gogh !

Mention of Harmattan dug up 22 year old memories of Kano and Abidjan , with Dilliwali friends acting blase' about the Aandhi and Southie me taking in the saharan storm in wide eyed amazement. I cannot forget the tiny purple blooms of some wild weed , all alone in the desert dryness, braving the raging sands.

P.S.:Did Tommynathan take the journey well ?

VS

5. vidyasarada

Dear Sridhar

Gracious as ever, generously appreciative as ever !
    Sridhar, I see that you keep yourself open to education perpetually . That is also a mark of refinement.
    Regards & Best wishes

VS

6. vidyasarada

Dear Chitvish

Thanks for the photograph. I suppose if one is sincere enough, even artificial flowers , as you mention, can be a vehicle to lift our spirit up to divinity.

PS: My sister's name is also chitra !

Regards
    VS

7. vidyasarada

Dear Kamla

Do get "carried away" more often, so that we can get to read some wonderful reminiscences !

VS

8. vidyasarada

Dear Safa, Meenakrishnan, Meenu, Manjula

Thanks for your enthusiastic contributions to this fragrant garland.
    Best Wishes
    VS

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

VS Sayang,

Terimah Kasih. Anjing and ibu still not travelled. Anyway, it was an 'avalanche of posts' from me. Am hugely embarassed too.Got carried away and posted like a maniac.Harmattan is kind to me, I seem to be the only one enjoying it. The purple blooms amaze me, so pretty,so hardy, a lesson in them for me to learn. Still cannot find the picture of Mother I had.For some reason, everytime I acquire Her picture, it moves away from me. I take it as Her message to me, that I should carry Her smiling Face in my memory and heart. Hope to visit Pondy, some blessed day!

cheers
    V 2 4

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Manju,

Thanks for yr personalised post to me, made my day. Something abt the Mother is so magnetic, it draws us all together. I love all your posts, you write very well.

See you round. Keep posting.

affly
    Vidya