1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

fish for 6m+ baby... is it good??

Discussion in 'Infants' started by headspin, May 24, 2010.

1. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

hi all,
    i know this forum is to share about infant foods. but im here today for mixed reasons.

today my mil started DS on fish and im mightly upset!!! because im a veggie and dint wanna make my son a non-veggie. but mil was adamant and finally the d day arrived today! though the dr advised to start fish... im still wondering is it too early for him??

i have also heard fishes has high mercury level which are harmful for child's brain development... is this true??

he has started his 7th month now...

pls share benefits/disadvantages of giving fish to such a small baby?? i just cant stop feeling upset... and im quite depressed!!

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

dear headspin,
    not all fishes are high in mercury...so it depends wat fish u feeding ur baby...but i do feel 6 months is way too early for fish, or any other non veg foods. i plan to introduce fish to my baby at around 10-11 months or nearing her first birthday...

u might want to tell ur MIL,that u maybe are okay with the idea of introducing fish,but this is way too early...,and i am also surprised that the pedi suggested to introduce fish this early,though its very high in proteins,its a common allergen too !

heres some much needed info,that u can convey to ur DH,or directly to ur MIL if possible.

How and when should I introduce fish to my baby?
    and here
    When Can Baby Eat Fish? Introducing Fish to Baby and free Fish Baby</b> Food</b> recipes

if ur MIL is persistent at introducing nveg foods to baby, ask her to give the baby chicken stock etc at nearning 7.5-8 months.... and shredded overcooked chicken at around 8+ months.

my 2 cents

3. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I feel its too early.

My kid's Pedi suggested only after1yr,even egg she asked us to give only yolk part at8months, for whole egg asked us to wait till 1yr.

For more information better check section various threads& other sites to get complete knowledge.

4. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

You may introduce chicken when LO turns about 8 months...wait for a year before u introduce fish.

5. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

to all - thanks for the responses.

though im a veggie, i have absolutely no problem in letting my child eat non-veg. but only after a certain age. ideally, when DS is about 5-6 yrs old and shows interest to taste and have non-veg... i will definitely let him taste and eat it!

but at 7 months?? i tried telling mil in all possible ways. but she was just not ready to listen. infact, the dr suggesting himself to give my son fish - thats enough for her. telling 'dr knows better'..!!!

i tried to convince myself and succeeded too. after seeing this response - i just am more confident on what i think. unfortunately no one agrees to me. anyways, i guess there is no point now coz she has already fed my baby fish.

about showing mil the indus ladies forum.. no ways! its like opening a can of worms!! soon she will see my other threads and obviously all hell will break loose. infact this forum is the only place where i can freely take out my frustrations without the fear of being judged, or critized.. thanks to all :)