First time Ekadashi fasting questions.

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sharmilasmeena, May 5, 2013.

1. sharmilasmeena

sharmilasmeena New IL'ite

Since I am fasting for the first time during Ekadashi, I am curious about some things.

1) I read somewhere on the internet today that I am not to do anything including getting angry or shout at others even one day before Ekadashi. What if one of these two things (getting angry or shouting at others) happens accidentally even one day before the Ekadashi? Does my fast get broken due to somebody else's fault?

2) Today morning, my mother touched my head to bless me. I told her not to touch me as no one should touch anyone during somebody's Ekadashi fast, since the fast can get broken. She told me that she is my mother and so, she has the authority to touch me. I told her, "What if you are impure at heart?" (practically speaking, everyone does something or the other knowingly or unknowingly that results in sinning, if I am not wrong and even I would have done it sometime, which is why I am trying to repent by fasting on Ekadashi) and then asked her not to do this again a little harshly, since she does not seem to understand the import of the fast. Does this break my fast due to someone else's fault?

3) I told my teacher that I am not coming to class due to my first time Ekadasi fasting and that I am afraid I will fall unconsciously. Would this have resulted in the casting of evil eye by someone else? Could this have broken the fast?

4) Is there any Pariharam or remedy for such a situation? I read somewhere today that it could result in people going to Yamaloka, if the fast gets broken even accidentally. Is it possible to forgive my mother in such a case for breaking my fast or will it still result in her getting a punishment from the heavens above? If someone from outside the house is instrumental in breaking my fast (such as casting an evil eye without their own knowledge), would they also be penalized for their actions?

I am curious. I need to know answers to these questions, so that I would know whether my fast really broke without my knowledge. Kindly provide answers without judging to your full knowledge. Thank you.

Last edited: May 5, 2013

2. bchandra2008

bchandra2008 Bronze IL'ite

fasting is called UPAVASAM in sanskrit
    It means "Staying near" - Near to whom - Near GOD; Probably so near to God that one forgets the hunger

So on Ekadasi days one is supposed to do a lot of prayers alogwith fasting

3 people like this.
  3. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

1. With these confusions u can do upavasam with soul????

2. U get impure with ur mom touch??? wht about u??? Mom is not first god????

Purpose of Upavasam(half fasting) is to keep our body health, that too highly not acceptable with complete fasting.

4. sharmilasmeena

@Rachaputi:

Kindly read my lines first before replying or anyone else's:

1) (practically speaking, everyone does something or the other knowingly or unknowingly that results in sinning, if I am not wrong and even I would have done it sometime, which is why I am trying to repent by fasting on Ekadashi)

2) Since I am fasting for the first time during Ekadashi, I am curious about some things.

1) I read somewhere on the internet today that I am not to do anything including getting angry or shout at others even one day before Ekadashi. What if one of these two things (getting angry or shouting at others) happens accidentally even one day before the Ekadashi? Does my fast get broken due to somebody else's fault?

I have even asked people not to judge me before replying. Hope you read the things before replying. Also, mothers are theoretically the first Gods, but even mothers and even children are not free from sins. Even if you are a practical person, remember that there are some things that are connected to religion. India is a land of mystery and miracles and you should be proud that you were born here and that there are some traditions binding us all.

Can you answer these questions first before answering anything else? Why does the lake in the Kheer Bhawani temple in Kashmir turn black whenever there are political disasters in Kashmir? Why could the British not find out the small pipelines [where the water for the fountains comes from] or reconstruct the same at the Taj Mahal monument? Why do some miracles take place? Why can one not go to a temple, even if they go to a place near that temple if their calling has not come? Are you truly aware of the things that are happening around you? Can you explain why some people that do not follow such regimes suffer or struggle in life? Can you explain what the various traditions are that many people are unaware of?

We cannot completely disregard religion for practicality. There are some things that even science can't explain. Plus, I need support when I am fasting and not criticisms. I know I am getting the support while chanting shlokas, but I need encouragement to continue performing this regime. We are human and nobody is perfect, but if someone is trying their best to attain religious perfection, you should support them, for we have Only One life and we won't live this again.

Also, I don't need doubts to remain in my soul to be able to continue this regime with my heart and soul. That is why I am consulting on internet forums, so that I can get the answers I am looking for.

5. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

Here is the procedure of how to carry Ekadashi vrat...Hope it helps U :)

Ekadashi Vrat Fasting Method

Ekadasi is the name of the Goddess that arose from Lord Vishnu to defeat Demon Mura. Happy with her divine act, Lord Vishnu blessed her that anyone who observes Ekadasi fast will be freed of their sins and will attain Moksha.

Some people only take a single meal on the Dasami day, the day before Ekadasi.

Things needed for Ekadasi Puja and Prayer

A picture or photo or idol of Lord Vishnu
    Fruits
    Tulsi leaves (The tulsi leaves should not be picked on the day but on the previous day)
    Yellow bananas
    And other normal puja items

Observance

Wake up early in the morning. Take bath and offer prayers.
    Perform a simple puja to Lord Vishnu at home by lighting a lamp and offering fruits and Tulsi leaves.
    Pray or meditate for few minutes.
    If there is a Vishnu temple nearby visit the temple and witness morning pujas and rituals.

Complete fast or Upavas on the day is the main observance.

Ekadasi Fasting

Fasting is for 24 hours. It is believed that a partial or total abstinence from food on Ekadasi is rewarded with bliss.

If you have any health problem or are taking medicines, please consult your doctor before deciding on fasting. You can also opt for a partial fast by avoiding food made of rice.

Do not eat food made from rice on Ekadashi.

Strictly avoid eating rice and grains, honey, meat and eating on a bell metal plate. Do not apply oil on the day. (What food can be eaten on Ekadasi for those observing partial fast?)

Those taking partial fast can consume fruits and milk.

Afternoon

Take bath and offer prayers to Lord Vishnu

Evening Prayers

Take a bath in the evening.
    Repeat the morning puja to Vishnu
    Visit Vishnu temple and witness the evening puja and rituals.

Prayers for Ekadashi:

Vishnu Ashotharam
    Vishnu Sahasranamam
    Simple Chanting of – Om Namo Narayana
    Or any prayers dedicated to Lord Vishnu or Sri Krishna

No Sleep of Keeping Vigil at Night

Staunch devotees who observe Vaikunta Ekadasi fasting do not sleep on the day. They spend the whole night at Vishnu temples or by singing prayers or listening stories dedicated to Lord Vishnu.

But those devotees who have health problems sleep at night. Those people who work, take rest at night and avoid keeping vigil at night

Next Day Morning:

The fast is broken on the next day (Dwadashi) after taking bath. Offer prayers to Lord Vishnu by lighting a lamp and then you can break the fast.

With love,
    Angellic :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

Hey, Generally while fasting, u should have a peace of mind as u r devoting ur time to god...so one should not get angry while fasting...but if any situation happens against u...just try to stay calm and keep chanting shlokas and keep urself away from the hustle and bustle...

I'm clueless regarding ur second Qn...

With love,

1 person likes this.
  7. sharmilasmeena

Thank you, Angellic. :)

I shall remember this when I perform my second fasting routine. I guess I should stay away from all the hustle and bustle to avoid unnecessary conflicts.

1 person likes this.
  8. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

U r most welcome Sharmila :)

With love,

1 person likes this.
  9. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

Sorry no comments... Here i didnt meant to open a debate. I respect god, but cant digest with some rules, which people not understanding real intention. Sharmila take it easy.. cheers

10. sharmilasmeena

Sorry to you too, @Rachaputi for starting a debate, which I should not, considering it is Ekadasi day. I respect God too, but I do not understand why people want to include science in everything?

For instance, in one internet based scientific article about temples, it was written that temples are built where the magnetic influence of the earth is very high, but I guess that is not true. Earth's magnetic influence is everywhere and it does not necessarily mean that it has to be powerful everywhere where temples are built. So, I don't agree with scientific facts on Ekadasi or any other phenomenon, event or temple related matters. I beg to differ with you and also with scientists, who do not understand things beyond the powers of their own intelligence or realms and also those who try to think there is some intention behind all these regimes.

1 person likes this.