First doc visit..

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by preeti09, Sep 17, 2007.

1. preeti09

preeti09 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies..

Iam 11 weeks pregnant now.I had my lab test last week and first doc visit tomorrow( sep 18 ).. Can anybody tell me wat are the tests done during this visit ? I asked my nurse about this and she said only my physical examination will be done ( no ultrasound )..so i was littel confused abt this becoz if they do not perform any tests to check the babys development, how do they/we know whether the baby is developing properly or not ? should i ask my doc to go for ultrasound ?

Can anybody put light on this ?

Thanks .

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I think it depends on what stage of the pregnancy you are in.Generally in India,they do ultrasound only around the fifth month.Here in the U.S,I think most of them do ultrasound around 9-10 weeks.

I think the doctors know best...it is not required to do ultrasound in the very first visit.I think what they mean by physical examination is actually ultrasound.:-D

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear friend,
    during ist visit they will check ur B.P,insulin(sugar level), Hb levelalso ur husband too needs one blood test done . ask doc about it.also if ur mother had some health prob make sure to mention it ,as prob like high BP get accelerated during preg ,even thou u did not had then before preg.
    make sure u get an ultrasound too as it helps to check mental& physical growth of baby.in india they do ultrasound at 6th week.i got my done at 6th week ,then again at 5th mth,again at 7th mth.pls be assured there is no harmful effect of ultrasound.
    take lots of rest.
    pragati

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

hi Preeti,

During all your monthly checkups, no tests will be done other than the usual BP, urine sugar. If you already have your blood work completed. Ultra sound scan is done only once around 18 to 20 weeks. This is the only US scan to be done if your pregnancy is going normally( this is in the US) . During your first visit, yes usually a physical is done. It is upto the doc to order an ultrasound if she feels she needs more information. Heart beat will be listened to.
    Around 24 to 26 weeks, they will ask you to take the glucose tolerence test. This will determine if you have gestational diabetes.

So relax. Your doc will advise you as to what tests need to be done for you.

Vandhana

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Vandhana

From all the feedbacks,I feel it is very different in each country,each state and even each time we get pregnant!

In India,Pragati says she had her first ultrasound at 6th week,but mine was only in the 5th month and everyone I know had theirs only in the 5th month.In CA,when I went at 9 weeks,they did an ultrasound(thru' the vagina,I don't know if that is called by any other name).Here in Ohio,they do ultrasound at the first visit which is around 9-10 weeks.They said they usually do GTT(glucose tolerance test-sugar test)around the 5th month,which is same in India too.Like you said,blood ,urine test and BP check is what is done during the first visits in India and in the U.S.,there is no difference in that. This concept of blood test for husband is new to me.Pragati,was that done specifically in your case for some reason,say RH-ve or something like that.

6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

It all depends on your personal self also. For me during my first pregnancy I was forced to take an ultrascan to confirm the growth and development, but it didnot happen in the second as during my first visit the doc was able to easily assess the growth by physical examination.

It also depends on the doc and the place where you live too. During your first visit, urine and physical test are mainly taken.

Any way dont worry and be happy. All the best.

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,
    Yes indeed it differs from doc to doc as to what they do. Yes i too got a vaginal ultrasound ( thats what it is called) , on my first doc visit when i was pregnant with the second one. ( they did not have these things 10 years back). But this is definitely better than the physical.

When my gynaec first brought the machine in, and started the prep work to use it, i was giggling uncontrolably. ( you probably know what i mean!!:wink: ).

Vandhana

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yes,I know what you mean:wink: :-D

9. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear friends,
    yes ,my husband too went throu the blood test as the doc asked him if he was fully vaccinated as kid.since my husband was not sure the doc thought better to get blood test.
    also, i went for ultrasound in the 5th week as i had lower tummy ache & doc was worried about it.no physical (internal) checkup was done.i really used to get excited when going for ultrasound as i wanted to see the babies heart beats .till now i have those reports(my son is going to be 3).truly ,these little ones are miracles.