1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Finally...... I gave up !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Custard, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Ganges,

I'm thrilled to meet persons like you! For 2 years ?:wowYou are great inspiration to me and others!!!
    Stopping milk was ok, but to stop eating Curd rice was really tuff!
    Thanks for your feed back.:thankyou2:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

My dear Vegan Custard!

Congrats on joining the bandwagon at Snippets!

Many many more congratulations on turning into a vegan.

In this hectic world, one just feeds on anything that is conveniently available and goes ahead with the business of living. And here you are from a non-vegetarian family who has become a vegetarian first and now a vegan. It cannot be easy but when one has a heart like your's, one can I see!

I know me! It will be very difficult to change into a vegan at this point of my life!! At the same time, I cannot afford to go through the links you gave, it will not leave me in peace! Not that I am totally ignorant of what goes on with our animals. I just pray that people wake up to this fact and some urgent changes are made with the way we treat our cattle and poultry. I have followed Micheal Pollan and Jamie Oliver who are advocating healthy food habits. All I contribute towards nutrition is to see that we eat a balanced vegetarian diet and most of the ingredients are fresh and wholesome and I do try and avoid over processed food.

Hene, I am all admiration for your commitment!

L, Kamla

3. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Wow Custard!

Amazing! This is what I call committment. Truly committed to the cause. And that too being brought up a non veg, then choosing to become veg and now vegan!

Am all admiration for you.

Love,
    Usha

4. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Kamla Mam,

I'm very happy to see your comments! Thanks for all the encouragement!! :thankyou2:

Now, I have a big request : I know you have grand kids, can you please encourage them to visit PETAKiDS.com
    and http://www.animalprotective.org/humaneedu/bekind.html
    These cites have lots of fun activities, games and free stuff and links! Kindly check.

Thank you so much!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  5. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Amma,

Thank you for the nice feedback! When changing to Vegetarian, my family was with me, being the youngest one, I was encouraged. But now, to turn to vegan, I had to convince everyone at home, especially my parents, so I had to collect more information Vegan products, nutrition and showed them more videos! and finally.... now all at home are Vegans (that includes my 3 Doberman Dogs!)

:thankyou2: once again

6. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Vegan Custard!! :)

You are even more sweeter now! Your effort is brilliant and like everybody has said here, it is not easy to be a Vegan. Admire your commitment. I would like to read the articles peacefully to know more about it. Have heard a little bit about these but I have not been following them sincerely.
    Soy milk is an acquired taste but believe me the payasams made of soy milk is just delicious. Just make sure that you are shifting to soy milk gradually and not all in one go. A sudden shift to soy milk also has its own set of issues.

Whatever you do, please seek proper advice from a reliable source whom you can trust. I do not claim that the websites are not reliable, but worth a second opinion from a non-website person, if you know what I mean. These days everything seems to have a good and a bad side. Jaggery could be a good alternative to unrefined sugar, like raw sugar. But possibly carbohydrate content is higher ??? Just quzzing here thats all. Love your effort and kudos for that, but please consult before. Like you said, there are surely other alternatives for everything but it is always good to know about them through a trusted source. I sound skeptic do I?

7. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Custard
    wow.... great changes in life... My hubby keeps changing between veg and nonveg... I for one am non - veg and at the moment can't think of a change over to veg...
    It surely takes a lot of commitment and will power to change... KUDOS:thumbsup
    K

8. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Custard,

Hats off to you on becoming Vegan.:thumbsup I know it is not that easy, since even i am lover of "Curd Rice" and any day i prefer that and cant live without it.

AS others said, it will be difficult for me also to turn into Vegan. I am vegetarian, but becoming Vegan, one really have to have "BIG WILL POWER":thumbsup.

9. Radheshyam

Radheshyam Senior IL'ite

Let me see,
    • I like to go to Perumal temple especially to get "Thayir Satham" prasadam.
    • I volunteer to make "Thayir Satham" in addition to my regular dish at potluck dinners so I can "be certain" that it is on the menu
    • I take my rice cooker along while travelling to make sure that I can have my favorite food even on the go !
    • I was nicknamed "thayir satham" in college as my mom always packs 2 set of tiffin boxes – one with poori/pulav/noodles for my friends and the other one with thayir satham for me !!
    • I strongly agree in T.N Seshan's comments on Thayir satham , that it is brainfood and helps sharpen our brains !
    hmmm.. no way.. I can never give it up. The day I give up "Thayir Satham" I will be ready to give up all/any attachment I have in this world.

Oh Custard, "Tusi great ho !":bowdown

Cheers!
    Radheshyam.

10. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Knot2share,

:thankyou2:
    :yes: I agree. Infact the first day I had stomach ache!!! I had Soya chunks for lunch plus drank a cup of Soya Milk, which I'm sure I shouldn't have done. So the next day, I had 1/2 cup in the morning, then 1/2 cup in the evening and I had no worries after that. Now I can have a cup at any time, no problem!

Sure. I really thank you for the concern you have. Yes I should do that for sure and especially having aged parents.....
    Yes we shouldn't take every thing from web. I also noted that none of these sites(I have browsed so many after visiting peta) say that one shouldn't take excess of Soya. I feel that should mention that too.
    :rant

Regarding Jaggery, it always the better option when compared with white sugar.Jaggery has less calories plus have iron and calcium. Whether Veg or Non-Veg its good for one to switch to Jaggery or Palm sugar before its late. I admit that I stopped white sugar only now as I had to! :bonk
    JAGGERY

• Energy(KCal) 383
    • Calcium (mg) 80
    • Iron (mg) 2.64
    SUGAR

• Energy(KCal) 398
    • Calcium (mg) 12
    • Iron (mg) 0.155
    No, it only shows your concern and I shall be ever more careful now ! :thankyou2: