Finally decided to quit my job and start working on my dream

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by manasa_gs, Dec 9, 2009.

1. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Hi All,
    I did not recieve even a single response for my previous thread.:cry:.

Friends, i have put my papers in my current organization, and have decided to start working on my business plans.
    It was a very hard decision to take, but still i took it . My plan is to start doing with a very small investment.

I have few doubts, can any of you please give me ideas.

I know that Surat is the best place to get the materials, but do any of you know anyone over there. I have a friend of mine who stays there, but what she says is, you get materials with work for 350, which is feel is very costly.

My plan is to get materials fro SUrat, and from Andhra, i know a place there, and sell it here. INitially put some stalls, sell through friends, and then learn the business completely.

Please give me your suggestions.

I have another doubt, do you need to register yourself, even for doing like this.

2. jayanthisuresh

jayanthisuresh Gold IL'ite

hi friend
    congrats for starting a new business.
    i think u must now any one of the busines man /women to start business like selling materials . because then only they can send u materials through courier . u cant go every time to tht places
    :thumbsup

3. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Manasa,

A big congratulations for this bold step! I just read your previous thread as well. True, this is a goodtime to start your own venture. Before you set forth,please be clear on what you intend to do!

Decide on how you are going to do - a shop, or from home? If neither, then do you plan to sell only through stalls - how would it work on a business model?

What are you going to sell - the answer will define your business. Do some research on what kind of units are there in your area, and see if there is a need for your business venture. If textiles, then what in it are you going to sell - sarees? salwars? a combination? only for women? Think on all this!

Who is going to buy - Is there a market in your area? People you know may buy the first time or next,and word of mouth takes ages to pass - so unless you have a target market defined, it may not be a good start!

How much are you going to invest - not just money, but also time! I have been a weekend entrepreneur for over a year. I spent over 1 hour a day checking mails, and delegated the work to two women who I paid on a hourly basis. I was working fulltime in a MNC, through this process. My mom coordinated for orders and classes, and I took the classes in weekends - I was into fashion and semiprecious jewellery making, teaching and retailing.

Surat is sure a good place, but what do you want to get - salwar materials, kurtis? I guess your friend has enquired in retail shops there! It is not true that all shops in surat are cheap, you need to find out the best!

Also, please explore in chennai before you embark on other states! Visit places like erode, salem, parrys corner - chennai, cbe for better ideas. Also, it isa personal opinion - always visit, atleast once before you buy materials! Even if a IL'ite shares info on a merchant at surat, it is a better idea for you to personally check and then carry on!

If you cannot do the travelling bit now, but from trusted sources( friends who can supply regularly), or start with buying things in and around your own city. Though the profit margin may not be high, it willbe a good start.

Once you share your exact line of interest, I can probably tell you more!

Regarding your query - you need not register if it is a home based unit. If you plan to take a shop,and start invoicing, then getting a TNGST number, Sales Tax number is essential.Also, if you do from home and put up a board, then the EB charges would be commercial.

Good luck to you!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  4. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Manasa,

Congratulations and all the best.
    When you are doing something you really like, you always get the satisfaction even if not big success or financial benefits in the begining. This is my experience.

And registration of business is not compulsory. Check the registrar of companies (ROC) site for details. But yes if you open a shop, and if you keep employees you need to get the shop act certificate.

Regards,
    Vaidehi

5. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Thanks so much Jayanthi. :)

6. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Hi Archana,
    thanks so much for the wishes and encouragement. Great to hear that you were into business..

"Decide on how you are going to do - a shop, or from home? If neither, then do you plan to sell only through stalls - how would it work on a business model?"

Well, i have decided to do it form home, initially, through stalls and through contacts , friends, apartment s...etc....coz i have to learn the business , i should know what kind of stuff people like, so i have decided to do it this way.

What are you going to sell - the answer will define your business. Do some research on what kind of units are there in your area, and see if there is a need for your business venture. If textiles, then what in it are you going to sell - sarees? salwars? a combination? only for women? Think on all this!

I have decided to stick to bangles and dress materials.

Who is going to buy - Is there a market in your area? People you know may buy the first time or next,and word of mouth takes ages to pass - so unless you have a target market defined, it may not be a good start!

Yeah this is a good point that you have mentioned, iam mainly targeting at college goers and working women.

How much are you going to invest - not just money, but also time! I have been a weekend entrepreneur for over a year. I spent over 1 hour a day checking mails, and delegated the work to two women who I paid on a hourly basis. I was working fulltime in a MNC, through this process. My mom coordinated for orders and classes, and I took the classes in weekends - I was into fashion and semiprecious jewellery making, teaching and retailing.

I have decided to spend almost 8 hours per day.

Surat is sure a good place, but what do you want to get - salwar materials, kurtis? I guess your friend has enquired in retail shops there! It is not true that all shops in surat are cheap, you need to find out the best!

Yeah i have to go there and find out everything.

Also, please explore in chennai before you embark on other states! Visit places like erode, salem, parrys corner - chennai, cbe for better ideas. Also, it isa personal opinion - always visit, atleast once before you buy materials! Even if a IL'ite shares info on a merchant at surat, it is a better idea for you to personally check and then carry on!

What you say is very true. About exploring in chennai, i know lot of people who do taht, but my idea is if i get it directly from Surat, i can get new trends from there, which will definitely take time to come to chennai. Hope your understanding my point. But yes, even in chennai, there are very good shops in godown street.

Once you share your exact line of interest, I can probably tell you more!

Regarding your query - you need not register if it is a home based unit. If you plan to take a shop,and start invoicing, then getting a TNGST number, Sales Tax number is essential.Also, if you do from home and put up a board, then the EB charges would be commercial.

Can you explain me on about this.

Regards,
    Anuradha

7. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Thanks so much for the wishes Vaidhehi :)

8. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

9. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Hi Archana,

I've a question. Manasa mentioned that she is going to get the materials from surat..
    My question is.... If I get a material that costs Rs.350 in Surat or wherever it is. For how much I can sell the same product here..
    Also just tell me about wholesale dealers and retailers...

I've read in most of your replies that you always mention about parrys corner. May I know what for it is famous? what are the things available there? Where it is?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  10. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Great idea ! You can add bags and accessories and even keep a tailor for stitching on commission basis.
    All the best !