1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding solids to babies - Few tips

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sangeeG, Mar 19, 2013.

1. sangeeG

sangeeG Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I would like to share some tips which I used to feed my baby when I started to feed her.

1. When you are feeding your 6 months baby first time with solid, make sure that the food is very liquid at first.

2. Always introduce one new food at a time. When I started with nestum rice to my DD, she was fine with it. Afterwards when I started banana, her stool became very solid and she got some pain. so I understood that it is because of banana and stopped banana and introduced it after few months.

3. sometimes she wont open her mouth. So I give her some toys and then she opened her mouth.

4. But toys didnt work for many days.
    She wanted to touch the food. So I gave her a bowl and spoon with some food.She would play with it while I fed her. (ofcourse it was messy but as long as the kid plays its ok right)

5. Even above thing didnt work for more time.
    Then I gave her some finger food, so I will feed her when she opens to feed herself and then let her feed herself.
    some of the things that I use to give her are cooked carrots, lollipop, Jam, mango, horlicks etc

6. Now she has come to a stage of playing hide and seek, use mobile apps while eating, see rhymes

7. one important thing which I want to share is, usually I used to feed her with spoon, But when I started to feed with fingers she is eating little better.
    maybe the spoon was hurting her gums

Hope few would be helpful to others.

Thanks
    Sangeetha G

2. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Sangeetha,thanks for sharing.Even my DD was not ok to be fed with spoon.

3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing those tips Sangeetha G :)

4. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

Yes, thanks for the tips. My youngest is past first foods now, but they'll be useful for moms whose kids are just starting:)

Mine used to demand that she get her own spoon, from the very beginning. She tolerated being fed for about a week, and then she stopped letting me control the spoon. She didn't want me to feed her, she wanted to do it herself! She also never tolerated liquid foods. She wouldn't eat baby puréed food, but she would happily gobble up a bunch of cooked spinach or cooked mashed carrots.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013