1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding solids lying down

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Vinu4me, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies,

A friend's wife feeds solids to her 4 month old keeping him lying down. I have suggested that she makes the little one either sit on her lap or propped up on pillows when feeding the child. She says that he does not eat if made to sit and that he eats only when lying down. I have a feeling that the baby is not yet ready for solids and that they will have to give it sometime. I feel uneasy about making the baby lie down for solids even if it is in a thin consistency.

What do you think?

REgards,
    P

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Does not seem a good idea to me... Solids, even if thin consistency should be fed upright. I agree with you, maybe the little one is not quite ready.

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

that is so sad when itty bitties are forced for solids even when they arent ready. what you think is right....
    but i have seen people do that... feed the baby solids as if they were feeding bottles :(

4. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Poornima, my mother did that to DD, at her 5months, made DD lying down on her stretched legs, but she would have a tiny pillow underneath, there would be little propping up, but not much, after about 2weeks, i said NO, then later we started to make her sit in her lap and fed her :)
    Here generally we dont have the practise of buying a bumbo/highchair/booster seat for babies to sit and eat, thats the reason many go for all such things :)) If they would listen, ask them to read kellymom and suggested a bumbo:thumbsup

5. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Poornima,

When I left for work at 5 months, we fed DD the same way. Reason being the back is not to ready to sit up and DD didn't like the rocker too. DD was quick at finishing the milk if she was too hungry but when I noticed her crying I immediately asked the maid to stop and feed then in small intervals else it might get into her lungs.
    We fed DD in small intervals not in one go. But yes, that's the only way out else I don't think else LO would take the semi solids willingly at that age. We just did milk and ragi porridge, banana milk shake till six months. I didnt want to continue bottle so with bowl and spoon this is the only way out. If too much time on hands then the sitting up would do, but it would take atleast half and hour that way.

Pillows would further mess up the situation that's what I feel. Just my opinion.

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Poornima, what your friends are doing is plainly dangerous. You can see it and so can mommies here, but is your friend ready to take advice from her peers? If yes, then you can try mailing her some articles on how to delay solids and how to feed solids. If she seems resistant then talk to your husband;s friend perhaps. If he is more open. Otherwise there is little to do but turn a blind eye and hope nothing ever happens to the baby!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  7. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Ladies,

I did tell them that the baby cud choke and that maybe he is not ready for solids. I asked them to first do the checks for solid food readiness - make the baby sit supported on pillows and if he is able to hold his head, try keeping a drop of the food on his tongue. I read somewhere that if the baby tries to swallow it then he is ready for solids else he isn't.

They were like - our pedi has asked us to give him solids. Well, I could not say anything more, but, I am so worried for the child. I tried to show her how to feed the LO by keeping him on the lap. But his head was falling forward and he was letting the food out.

I am going to have to ignore it and pray for the baby.

Regards,
    P