1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding/Pumping Schedule while starting to WEAN

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sumanr, May 3, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey all

With LO turning 7 months, I am giving her 2 solid feeds with ragi, rice, veg, fruit purees, a combination of above ....whatever (12 noon and 6-6:30pm). I will be leaving for office this week and want to know if it is ok if I do not feed her/pump for 7-8 hours.
    Pumping is not possible in office. And I am assuming that if I feed her when I leave for office (say 9am), then she will do with 1 solid (12noon), 1 formula (3pm) and some juice (4:30-5pm) covering a time span of 7-8 hours.

Will this in-turn affect my supply for night feeds (from 8pm to 9am) that she solely relies on?

2. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Ramya,

Sorry no idea. just popped in to send some hugs and wishes that it all works out well for you. Good luck on returning to work.

3. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Rephrasing the question to elicit some responses ...:idea

How long can one go without feeding/pumping (with 7mo kid) so that the supply is decently maintained?

4. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Ramya,

Nowadays I dont get time to pump in the office.. She nurses from me till I am at home, and then at office I dont pump for a gap of around 6-7 hours.. I rarely pump at office... but if I do, I have the milk for the next day and if I dont have milk for her to feed, then I plan to leave a little early to home and continue my work from home...

Hope I didnt confuse you...
    Vidyaa

5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Vidyaa - Youo just did !!:hide:

Question is, if I do not pump/feed for 6 hours, will there be a difference in supply?

6. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Yes there will be for sure.. But I feel we can still manage as the kids are now taking their solids as well...

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Suman,

I started to go for work as soon as my baby completed 5 months..fed her till i left for office...pumped some milk , stored and went... the time i return back home,and again till next morning before i leave,she was completely on my BM...later she refused to take the stored BM...i consulted the Ped..she said its ok,even if she doesn't take BM till i reach home as we had just started to give solids to my LO...
    Yes,there will be a difference in supply,but it will be def enough for the baby.Now also i feed my baby i have no stortage in milk supply.Since u have also started givin solids to ur LO ,it will def not cause any prob
    Dont worry

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  8. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Ramya,

Ditto, i am exactly in the same position.
    My Plan is this, but dont know wthr it will work out or not
    BF LO till 8.00-8.30 AM and leaves to work
    2 solids (12.30 and 6.30) and 2 milk feeds(1 BM (expressed) and 1 aavin)
    So once i return from office, say at around 8.00 PM, express how much ever possible and keep it for next day's 1 feed.

But dont know how i am going to manage my supply from 8-8 day time at office.
    any idea how to prevent the leaks?
    Am also gng to ask HR for any place to pump, if i get a green signal, may be i will replace the aavin time to BM time.

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ramya, some children do well on the schedule you say. children are known to reverse cycle and feed from mom only from night and make do with solids/formula. kellymom.com :: Reverse Cycling
    I would do with another solid feed in the evening in the place of juice. If she can go three hours between feeds, I think what you have planned will work really well. If she is iffy about bfing that may be an issue, otherwise your body will adjust to her feeding patterns.

10. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Ramya,
    I agree with Tikka. For the first few days your body will continue to make milk at the same time your LO is used for breastfeeding. But if you don't pump during those times, then after few days your body will not make so much milk at those times. So your body will get adjusted. Yes, your supply will be affected because breasts cannot act as storage devices!! If you don't pump or breastfeed then your body will not make milk during those times.

Padmini - I don;t think you will have any leaks after first few days. If you don't breastfeed or pump then your body will not make milk and hence no leaks.

I used to pump 4-5 times a day. I started skipping pumping sessions. Initially for 2-3 days my breasts felt heavy with milk but I could not pump because of work pressure. But after 3 days, my breasts felt lighter because my body was no longer making milk during those times. I still pump though but my supply has definitely reduced because I am not pumping often!

Hope this helps!