Fee structure for US born kids

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by Illusions, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Illusions

Illusions Bronze IL'ite

Hi all wonderful ladies,
    I have few questions for which I know I will get the best answers here.
    I am pregnant currently living in US. My hubby and me are born in Chennai, india. We will be travelling back to India next year for good.
    I am concerned about my kid’s education. Heard the school fee structure will be high for kids not born in India. I am looking for normal school where they treat kids as kids. So help me understand, if there will be huge differences in fee structure for my kid not born in India. Thank you very much in advance.

2. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

It depends.

A US born, US passport holder is a NRI in India. Thus some schools will ask for NRI fees.

US citizens will have advantage in US universities,whereas Indian citizens will have advantage in Indian universities. So it is not something new.

Are you going to be in India for good and never travel for the next 18 years to US?

If so, as per Indian law, A child of an Indian citizen parent has the right to claim Indian citizenship by descent, even if born in the USA. You can get an Indian passport for your US-born baby and be treated the same as anyone else for educational purposes. Also you need not pay in dollars for the kids education.

As for the kid making her choice at 18, that argues for preserving her/his Indian citizenship. If we give it up for the baby now, and (s)he wants it back at 18, the choice will be in the hands of the Indian government. And the kid might be pretty upset, you never know .. LOL