1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Febrile seizures for my 14 month old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by bunchofroses, Feb 28, 2012.

1. bunchofroses

bunchofroses Bronze IL'ite

This weekend was so agonizing and I hope I never have to relive those moments ever again in my life! We went to the zoo this saturday with my 14 month old, his brother and his friend. Everything was fine. He did not have any fever or anything and was completely normal. All of a sudden in the evening whe I was at blockbuster, his evelids went up and there was a white discharge from his mouth and there was absolutely no reaction from him. We panicked. we thought this was the end of him. I started carying, my husband and the blockbuster guy called 911. We weren.t sure if he choked on something, or he got poisoned, as we had never witnessed any seizures before. Apparently for infants when the fever shoots up all of a sudden since their hypothalamus is not developed they go into seizure and apparently he also had a ear infection, which we were not aware as there were absolutely no symptoms. I was completely shaken took me 2 days to recover and seems like I have lost my sleep forever! Any other parents whose children have been through this? please share your insights

1 person likes this.

2. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear bunchofroses
    I would suggest to go in for a detailed check, not that you have to be concerned in anyway, but just to evade the sleepless nights you might have pondering over this. True that hyperthermia leads to convulsive seizures in infants......my concern would be for this not to happen next time he has fever, for that pls. get a good consultation fron a paediatrician. Mostly children out grow these seizures as they advance in age. Keep him happy and well nourished and next time he has fever make sure the temp doesn't soar high.....god bless..and cheer up, this is all a part of being a mom.
    Mega

3. nutty_witty

nutty_witty Senior IL'ite

Hi Bunchofroses,

I can understand ur condition, i have encountered the same when my daughter was 18 month old. she had high fever and had seizure. after that twice she had when her fever touched 103. Dr told kids will develop the resist power once they grow up. We did complete checkup ( EEG) test, it was absolutely normal for her. Dr prescribed a tablet Frisium which has to be given once she fall sick. u can also check with ur ped. Please make sure next time, that fever is not shooting up, do towel bathing. this will help a lot when they are having high fever.

thanks.

4. SubhaIyer

SubhaIyer New IL'ite

Hi Bunchofroses, can empathize with you since I have gone through this phase for my kid. My elder one had 5 seizures since 11 months (he is going to be 6). We were asked to do an EEG after the third occurance and thank god nothing was abnormal. The only thing we should make sure is that the temperature is under control - give sponge bath and also fever medication (Calpol/Crocin) at regular intervals.

It was scary the first time but keep your cool and take necessary precautions. Your kid would outgrow this soon.

Take care.

5. bunchofroses

Thank you so much for your responses ladies. It really helps to have such a support group. What is this EEG and what is the procedure for this? Thanks!

6. nutty_witty

nutty_witty Senior IL'ite

EEG is Electroencephalogram. An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test that measures and records the electrical activity of your brain. Diagnose and see what type of seizures are occurring. EEG is the most useful and important test in confirming a diagnosis of epilepsy.

you can check with ur Ped, if its required.

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My nephew used to get hIgh fevers and my sister used to first try the sponge bath. If he is getting chills, she used to stop that immediately and increase the room temperature ( I hope you have the same facility). Apparently the trick to reduce fever is to dress yoUr child in just 1 layer of cloths so that body has a chance to reduce fever fast. I am sure you already know this... Just reminding you again.

I am sorry you had to go through this. I hope this doesn't repeat.

8. bunchofroses

Thank you very much for your prompt responses ladies. I am feeling much better now :)