Favourite Delhi Street Food

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by SoniaVerma, May 11, 2009.

1. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Delhi is deliciously famous for its street food. Be it the Kulfis, chaat, kebabs and tikkas or golgappa's Delhi Street food is always a foodie's delight from all over the world. What is your favorite Delhi Street food? Do you choose not to make them at home, and rather have them on the streets? But, in spite of all the craziness, how [FONT=&quot]particular [/FONT]are you of the sanitation and cleanliness of street food.

Share your thoughts.

2. raminderkaur

raminderkaur Bronze IL'ite

My husband is fond of paranthas. There is a famous parantha stall in front of Rajdoot hotel in Lajpat Nagar in South Delhi. Whenever we are there, we have paranthas there. It is open till late in the night.

3. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Wow Raminder, that's great! Paranthas are also my personal favorite. What kind of paranthas are the best there? Would want to know so that I may give a try next time i go there. Also, I hope the place is hygenic. I'm too finicky about that...Are you?

Awaiting your response. Till then, I'll enjoy paranthas at home.....
    :)

Happy Posting!
    Sonia

4. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

I must say gol gappe.. :bowdown I could seriously survive off of it..

5. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

I love going to Market No.1 in C.R.Park in New Delhi. It is quite near my residence. I love to have my fill of non-veg food there - everything from momos, mutton ghugni, kebabs, and an amazing variety of rolls - from egg rolls, mutton rolls to egg mutton rolls. Then there are dum briyani (both chicken and mutton) stalls and even, a hotel serving the full fare of a complete bengali meal with dal, bhaja and machher jhol thrown in.

6. PreetiSandhu01

PreetiSandhu01 New IL'ite

Delhi and Street food are indeed inseparable. However, I'm strongly for hygienic street food. It is good that in Delhi big brands like Haldirams & Nirulas, now offer the same popular dishes but in safer package, without compromising on the authentic 'street' taste. <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="Edit-Time-Data" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_editdata.mso"><!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City" downloadurl="http://www.5iamas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place" downloadurl="http://www.5iantlavalamp.com/"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> These Indian quick service restaurant provides 'chatpata' street food items like pao bhaji, masala chana, chole bature, golgappe, chaat, etc to its customers in a hygienic form.<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=":)" style='width:24pt; height:24pt'/><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

But do you enjoy these places or love to hang out on the street side? Share your preferences.

7. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Hey, that's cool! Thanks you all for your fabulous responses. Where do you think you the get the best Chinese food on the streets of Delhi? And would you prefer street food on the streetside stalls or go to Nirulas or Haldiram where street food like golgappe, chaat, Chole Bature is also served.

:roll:

Happy Posting!
    Sonia

8. RanjaniPandey

RanjaniPandey New IL'ite

My favorite Delhi street food is Chole Bature. Every time I go to my cousin's place in GK-II, Delhi; I make sure that I have Chole bature to my heart's content. Raaz ki baat yeh hai...ki aap jitne bhi aacha banao ghar pe....street food ki majaa hi kuch aur hai ...but haan...hygiene is important for me too.

:exactly:

Ranjani

9. cukz

cukz New IL'ite

I love all the junk food on Delhi street. Crazy about gol guppe, somosas, hot jalebees, gulab jamuns, pakode.....oh my god I am feeling hungry!!!!

10. kds

kds New IL'ite

Having a sweet tooth by birth, I like to go for every vegetarian delicacy. I like to prepare all the things myself. Cooking gives me a pleasure and more pleasure when I see them being consumed by my family/friends. Do you also relish cooking? Ask me for veg. recipies.