Favourite "animal" book?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Harriet9, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Harriet9

Harriet9 New IL'ite

My favourite "animal" book is the autobiography of a campaigner for animal protection. I was really hooked by "Bad Hare Days". It's the story of Irish anti-bloodsports campaigner John Fitzgerald and tells how he struggled against terrible odds to get the endangered Irish Hares protected. It offers marvellous insights into the trials and tribulations of an animal welfare campaigner, how the campaign affected him and his family, showing how he was bullied in the workplace for his views. He had to confront the immense power of the animal-baiting lobby in Ireland. The book is not depressing though...it's actually very funny at times, and very informative. It's a tribute to animal lovers everwhere and I loved it. I'm not sure where it can be ordered-a friend sent it to me as a present-but it's published by Olympia Publsihers of London. Harriet.

2. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Harriet,

A warm welcome from the Pets Forum of IL.
    Here you can have very interesting interactions with all of us who are ardent lovers of all four legged friends , feathered kinds, aquatic world members and even some creepy crawlies too! So a hearty BOW -WOW, MEOOOOOOW , Tweet Tweet , or even a friendly HIIIIIISSSSS!!

Just came to read from your introduction of yourself that you are active in the field of animal welfare particularly in the rescue of felines.We are looking forward to hearing your accounts in this area and will be delighted if you could post some pictures in this regard.

I'm a great fan of animal books too and would like to rate James Herriot's book
    'All creatures great and small' as an all time favourite.The author's gentle , humorous heart warming narratives of the life of a veterinarian in England's Yorkshire Dales during the 1940's had me hooked from page one till the last page.

Hoping to hear more from your part of the globe about our furry friends there.
    Do you have any pets at home? Do post about them too.