Fasting according to Hindu Religion.

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, May 17, 2007.

1. riti

riti New IL'ite

Hi Chitra,
    I am new to this forum. Its great to find such a discussion board. I was actually searching for an answer to my query when I came across this site. Well, I recently started fasting on Mondays and I think there are lot many ways to do so like eating only sweet or one meal without any onions/garlic. My question is that when we are having one full meal with vegetables and all then why no onions? Why onions/garlic are refrained during fasts? Hope you can answer my doubt.

- Riti

1 person likes this.
  2. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

This was a nice post that you have written on Fasting..

I too sometimes feel fasting purifies our body. But fasting has good effect on our mind too...All other days with our usual routine and hectic schedule, we hardly get time to think about ourselves let alone god. But during fasting, the mind and our thoughts unknowingly goes to god and that feel of giving up our basic needs and pleasures for him, gives a great sense of satisfaction..There is no doubt about it.

Love,
    Preethi

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Riti,
    Welcome to I L & to this forum.
    Generally according to shastras, onions & garlic are "Thamasic foods" & are avoided.Only Sathvic foods are taken - but I assure you it is personal preference. There is nothing wrong in eating onion & garlic, if you have no objection.
    Thankyou for the F B.
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chitvish

Dear preethi, my young sweet friend!
    It is nice to receive your F b after months!
    You have underlined the principle for fasting very clearly, Preethi !
    But it does vary with individuals, as well !
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. thejasree

thejasree New IL'ite

Hello Chithra mam!

Does fasting affect nursing? I used to fast on mondays and saturdays before my delivery. And it used to hav a good effect- mentally and physically.
    My baby is now 19 months old and i am still nursing. Can i continue fasting, atleast once a week, as u said on fruits :) ?..

Regards,

Thejasree

6. Chitvish

Dear Thejasree,
    Along with fruits, I suggest, you can have milk so that you can nurse your baby as well. Just fruis, I think, may not be a good idea.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. padmaiyangar

padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

Ekadashi and benefits of fasting

Ekadashi
    Ekadashis falls on the 11th day of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Krishna</st1:place> paksha and shukla paksha, twice a month.

VAIKUNTA Ekadashi falls in the month of Marga-seersha (December-January) and is observed with all solemnity in all Visnu temples.

We have to fast on this day and perform Japa, chanting of Visnu slokas and meditation. Some person even did not drink even a drop of water.

But these days it is very difficult be fast completely, hence we can take some light fruit and milk. Any how no rice items should be taken.

Benefits of Fasting

If one observes the Ekadashi regularly.
    1) The mind get purified and gradually devotion to god also develops..
    2) By fasting one can controls passion, emotions and can control the senses.
    3) It will also purify the mind and heart.
    4) Fasting also improves the respiratory, circulatory, digestive and urinary systems of our bodies and to some extent destroys all the impurities of the body.
    5) It reduces the formation of uric acid deposits in our body.
    6) Complete fasting helps to control sleep

However, excessive fasting to be avoided .otherwise it will leads to weakness.. If one cannot able to fast for the full twenty-four hours, at least fast can be obsereved for 10-12 hours and then take some milk and fruit. Gradually we can increase fasting duration to 15 hours and then up to 24 hours. Finally Fasting makes a man strong both spiritually and mentally.

I want to know more about ekadasi, and is there any specific shlokas on ekadasi day ?

padma iyangar:wink:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  8. Chinju

Chinju Senior IL'ite

Hello all,
    Can anybody tell me how we have to do Kandha Shasti Vradam and why we do this Vradam?

Thanks in Advance,

9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,

How much I wish I could fast. During my college days and initial working days I would fast regularly or eat food without salt.. something like that... I would keep Vaibhav Laxmi Vrat on Fridays, Fast on Tuesdays for Ganesha and on Thursday for Guruvayooappan. Suddenly the fasting started taking its toll After office hours I would return home at 8. then unwind myself, prepare for the puja and finally my fast would break at around 9.30 or 10. Now this lead to hyper acidity. Doctor has advised me to never keep my stomach empty and forget fasting. Now, I perform puja and pray with all my heart, but, do not fast... It does not suit me... Very sad...

10. Chitvish

Dear Mals,
    I fully agree with you that it is not worth fasting at the cost of health or getting irritable !
    The others will curse us for our fasting which often takes a toll on them !:crazy
    Love,
    Chithra.