1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

family issues india trip

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mariegold, Jan 13, 2015.

1. mariegold

mariegold Junior IL'ite

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Your vacation, you decide. Inform your husband that you value his suggestion but you have decided that first to stay one week with your parents as you and the baby needs to rest.

3. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

I think your dh is right in this "Though my husband is arriving a week later he wants me to go to my inlaws first and with the baby atleast for days before I go to my parents, similarly when we return he wants us to start from inlaws place."

Every single married woman that i know (including myself) do what your dh is asking you to do. Once you are there, go to your parents home. If your presence is not necessary at your in-laws place, stay at your parents home few more days. Try to weigh the things happening around you, and take decision accordingly on how long you should be staying. Leave for india from in-laws , not your parents (thats the right thing to do, afterall).. call your parents to your in-laws place to say goodbye (if you cant go, they can come to see you before your leave) Also, Its not like your dh doesnt want you to visit your family, so dont make big deal of it. Take good rest over the weekend after you come back, if you need to relax.

PS i would want to land at my parents home, and stay there and leave from there too. Is it right thing to do that? I dont think so.

With the baby in the pic, it would look even worst if you landed at your parents and not your dh's parents.

Hope it helps

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Why? Which rules say it is wrong to go to parents place first specially if husband is not with you?
    What if parents live closer? What if parents haven't met the girl for much longer?
    Why make it look like going to parents place is a favor or something that is not right? Why are we so bent on giving our parents the inferior treatment?Why can't it be something that is most convenient...without bringing egos into it.

11 people like this.
  5. CrayoNess

:eek:mg:

When planning a family trip/vacation both parties have equal share in the decision making. In this case when the spouse is arriving later it is really up to the OP to decide how she will spend the first week. Why would the dh even bother to try to influence that decision? If the inlaws want to see the baby (understandable, I know how it is to be a granparent) they can visit the OPs parents place. When hubby arrives they need then to make plans together how to spend that part of the trip.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This landing in which house first from airport, and leaving for airport from which house, is not so trivial. Ideally, it would be trivial, and no one tries to force another person to spend time first in in-laws place, and leave for airport also from there.

Best explained with a similar example from "western" culture. Seating arrangement at wedding reception. One can say that if there are enough seats for all guests, what is the big deal about where who gets to sit. But brides are known to have near breakdown as they decide who sits where.

Does it really matter who sits where for a 90 minute reception and meal? No. But, it does! Similarly, it matters which house a person goes from/to airport.

I am not defending anything here, but trying to address the amazement at such "rules" and why they continue to exist.

Sometimes it is something as simple as getting first dibs on the suitcases filled with junk from Walmart, Target and IKEA. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. CrayoNess

But if the husband is not there why would the wife go first to the in laws place? As own parents are the closer relatives. If taking the wedding example closer relatives sit closer to the couple.

And my OMG came from the statement that as a wife you are supposed to do what your dh tells you to do.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Exactly.
    My mom's brother got married and migrated to the US almost 45 years ago. They were the only ones of their generation to live abroad at the time, and their visits always generated excitement . Both sets of parents lived in the same city. Right from that time, my aunt would first go to my grandparents' place if my uncle was also traveling. Otherwise she would land at her parents' place and visit later. Most of my extended family does likewise.

9. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

The OP wants to close the thread. But we are keep going.....

No rules apply here, and "I" rule. We go to my parents house and stay with my family for the entire trip. We leave from my house, end of discussion <period>. 1-Week after my trip, my dad takes me to my ILs house and 'I" leave with my dad on the same day.

My husband can "come and go" as he pleases. He is "liable" to carry my shopping bags when I like to do my shopping.......

To make the above rules into "action", I went through endless canceled trips, returned home angrily without speaking on entire flight, booked early return flights, flew separately, departed/re-joined back at the airport..... It was quite a "circus" amusement for my siblings.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In wedding example, "closer" is decided by whom? Whose table has the bigger flower arrangement - that of the bride's parents or the groom's parents? Such decisions are not totally unheard of.

If husband is not there when landing in India - the 'rule' of go first to in-laws place would still apply because she 'technically' is now part of that household.

Once again, I am not defending or condoning such rules, but they are not so 'strange' or 'why the heck' either.

Read deshica's post that you quoted above the OMG emoticon. Her statement is not a blanket "as a wife you are supposed to do what you dh tells you to do". She is observing that 'every single married woman she knows does what the dh is telling OP to'

There are many threads on this topic - including detailed analyses of pros and cons of parents living in same city as in-laws.

I'll suggest to the OP and women in similar situation - pick your battles, be sure they are small enough to win, and big enough to matter. (not an original quote).

The whole India trip thing can make one years older before the next birthday. Often, landing and departing from in-laws place gives the women leverage in other things to do with the trip. She can either cry hoarse at the unfairness of this landing/departure expectation, or smartly calculate how the trip can be made the most pleasant for all.

3 people like this.