1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Faith!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anukarsha, Jul 2, 2010.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends!
    We all have heard about the tenth and last guru of sikh sect - Guru Gobind Singh. He was very brave. After his father’s untimely death (actually public execution by Mogul Emperor Aurangzeb), Guru Gobind Singh founded this sect. He established ‘Khalsa’ which means pure and liberated. And that’s why he ordained a society which was casteless and classless.
    Once while talking to my mom, she narrated an incident to me, which inspired me a lot. After establishing this sect, Guru Gobing Singhji and his disciples were celebrating Durga Puja. Everybody had come except Guru Gobind singhji. They were all waiting for his arrival. Suddenly, he entered the place hurling an unsheathed sword and addressed his followers in a seemingly angry voice, “The time has come; Ma Durga wants sacrifice; who’ll give his head?” Come on all, let’s all sacrifice our heads for Ma Durga. There was a silence. Nobody dared to even look up at their Guru’s Face, fearing he may call them for sacrifice. And if it happens so, they’ll not be in a position to refuse to his orders. He repeated his words quite a few times but nobody came forward. Then came a man from the crowd. He said, Guruji I trust you fully and I am there to offer myself in the lotus feet of Ma Durga. Guruji took him inside a room and there came a long shrill and thud and here was Guruji standing with a sword dripping with blood. Everyone was terrified at the mere sight of that sword. The Guru demanded the same sacrifice four more times and four more came from the crowd. Every time the screech would terrify the audience. After the fifth sacrifice, Guruji brought all five of them out and said that he sacrificed five goats and this was done only to test the disciples’ faith in him. Those five who came forward for their Guruji’s word were known as “Panj Piyare” meaning Five Beloved Ones. All of them came from different classes and castes. They were given an elixir which they call nector (Amrit) to drink.These Panj Piyare then collectively acted as the supremos of this sect.
    Faith triumphed here too. The foundation of any relationship is Faith n Faith only. If there is no faith, there is no relationship! So friends, have faith in you, your guru and above all him- God Almighty!
    RegsJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
    2 people like this.

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anu,
    That's something I am knowing for the first time....
    A nice post on faith....
    They say, little babies, when thrown up by their parents while playing laugh and enjoy....it is because they have faith in their parents that they would catch them and won't let them fall....likewise, if we have immovable faith in our heavenly father, we shall be happy too....

3 people like this.
  3. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Dear Bhargavi :)

Yes dear, faith plays a great role in making our very being. It's only the faith that enables us to make plans for tomorrow, have hope even in the toughest situations in our life. It's the faith that shows us an illuminated path in the darkest night. So keep faith in the Lord!!!:)

4. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear Megalife for liking my post.

5. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Very true, Anu and Bhargavi.

Shirdi Sai Baba also emphasized on this. There is a story in Satcharitra wherein He asks a devotee 2 rupees. The underlying meaning of the offering of 2 rupees is to denote the offering of Faith and Patience - to have Faith in the Supreme and to be Patient. Just thought of sharing this here. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear Kottravai for sharing such a beautiful piece of information.Thanks so much!!!